Need a garage able to undertake this repair

I have a old Nissan Sunny that needs a new set of copper brake pipes. I have been advised that there are six pipes involved. The garage which undertook the MOT says that this will be such an expensive job that it is not worth doing even though the car is otherwise in good condition.

I would like to ask if anyone knows of any garage that can undertake this type of work for an agreed reasonable price. I am based in the South East.

Thank you.

***SIX*** copper pipes going at the same time??? Go to another garage for a second opinion.

O/T whatever-bargains removed from xpost

Reply to
Emil Tiades

As a rough guide, I pay 50p per end fitting from a local factor, and they are a lot cheaper in bulk. Copper brake pipe is around 20p per foot. It takes about 15 minutes to remove, copy and replace most pipes. If you need six pipe replaced, I'd guess two or three hours work - including refilling and bleeding the system - and twenty quid for materials.

How much is the car (not) worth?

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Hope you know this car. On some it takes a great deal of work. E28 BMW, for one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I was thinking average-y. And the ones which are most likely to rust are almost certainly those most exposed to the elements ... and therefore also to the mechanic.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Some are clipped up between floor and chassis rail - an ideal mud trap. The fixings can rot too and require remedial work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is true. I looked at some rotten ones under a Terrano recently. No ta!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Yes.

Oh. Not a chance then.

Parts are under =A340. It's the labour that's the killer.=20

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

The joys of installing a complete system is you can route them where you want.

Reply to
Conor

Nah, the killer would be living dahhhhn sahhhhhf ;)

Brake pipe replacement is easy peasy.

Reply to
Pete M

Not on every car. And it depends on what needs replacing - the one(s) front to back can be difficult.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No one mentioned a BMW, please keep up and READ the messages.

*NISSAN SUNNY* in case you missed it the first time before trying to answer a question that was not asked.
Reply to
Clive

You are the one that needs to READ. He merely SUGGESTED that it CAN be a lot of WORK and cited a model as an example...

Reply to
Blah
+AD4- No one mentioned a BMW, please keep up and READ the messages. +AD4- +ACo-NISSAN SUNNY+ACo- in case you missed it the first time before trying +AD4- to answer a question that was not asked.

I love it when people get their foot so far in their mouth :)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Fair comment. Have you done this job on a Sunny and know it's easy?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a Datsun... nothing much is difficult on 'em (other than trying to work out why someone would want one)

Reply to
Pete M
[...]

Because they are easy to work on? ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

if the pipes will not unscrew from wheel cylinders, master cylinders, hoses or whatever then those parts may need replacement as well, this cannot be guessed at in advance by anyone. which is why the garage are covering themselves by not even quoting for the job. no one could give an exact guaranteed price in advance unless they quote for replacing every item concerned. Bearing in mind that the garage didn't like the look of the job then many items may be so cruddy that it all doesn't look hopeful.

Have the garage actually failed the car?

Reply to
Mrcheerful