new father appeals for motor help

hello! i usually enjoy spending time researching the net & tinkering to solve my car problems but since our baby was born i havent had a moment break for such luxurys.

Last evening my skoda favorit(carb) has failed to start.only dash lights no starter sound.not sure if solidnoid engage either.checkd earth conn to batery & tried rocking car in 4th but no difference.

this morning i tried again but this time a buzzing(relay) sound came from fuse/relay area.the dash lights also started flashing erraticly.i checked the voltag on open battery 10.2v. found water was quite low & topped cells up.still no starter motor,but now instead of buzzing relay sound, the rev counter starts in a haunting way increasing till it goes past red zone!

cud this be a battery prob? or earth/relay? what can i check next? i would really like to get car back on road as i hav a big shopping list which will cost me a fortune to do by taxi.

thanks for listening, G

Reply to
babyg52007

The battery is flat, and by the sound of it worn out. Replace the battery and I expect all the faults will be cured, plus a new battery is far cheaper than any repair place will charge just to take a look.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Everything you describe points to a dead battery.

Reply to
Andy

Buy it a new battery. & then check for the interior light that's been left on.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
10.2 Volts is a knackered battery!
Reply to