Belt Interval on a 1.4 TDCi (Duratorq)

Afternoon,

I've been having a look through service schedules for my vehicle (03 Fusion) on etis.ford.com and i'm amazed to see the "camshaft drive belt" interval is 150,000 miles or 10 years.

So frequently have I encountered people who needed a lot of convincing that the 2 litre PSA HDi's had 96k intervals i'm amazed by this.

Can anybody comment on why this interval is so high, not that i'm complaining?

Cheers, Tom.

Reply to
Tom Hawley

The interval can be anything the manufacturer wants it to be so long as they know it's going to last longer than the warranty.

Personally, I'd not trust anything much over 50k / 5 years.

Reply to
SteveH

It's not exactly getting stressed as the motor is hardly high revving and able to spin up fast.

Add to that improvements in the design and materials used.

It's like lorries - you're looking at engine and gearbox oil changes in the 100,000s of km intervals now because of the improvements in oils and the use of centrifugal cleaners.

Reply to
Conor

I wouldn't worry too much. The water pump will probably pack in long before then!

Reply to
moray