New sill

Have a escort saloon (14 years old now) on one side the sill has started to go (3 holes and the lip along the bottom has the dreaded tin worm.

How much would you say it would cost to weld in a new sill. ?

Sid

Reply to
Sidney

More than the car is worth, probably. A poorly applied skin sill with underseal slapped over might be as little as 75 pounds. A properly done job, filled and sprayed to match and look right might run to 400. If there is something to attach to, then a nice job might be only 250.or a little less, depending on where you are.

The 75 quid job would probably get through another mot or two.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ahh welding jobs... Price the job, multiply by three. If the customer wants it done, ok. If not, good riddance. Takes me back....

Reply to
Rog

In parts, whatever the cost of a new sill is plus a few quid on welding materials. Then maybe a few hours to do a reasonably proper job. Plus whatever kind of finish you want on it. Plus any other remedial work that was found along the way.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while, for sentimental reasons or whatever, then go out and buy a mig welder and learn how to use it. It's the only way my 17 year old Carlton stays on the road.

Reply to
adder1969

Yep, I love that car to bits.

How long did it take you to get to grips with welding?

Reply to
jess

I practiced first on my brother's Mini :-) It's fairly easy but I'm no expert and it takes me a while to finish/grind back the messy welds. The key is clean metal and in my opinion argon/co2 mix gas. Maybe you'd pick it up quickly, maybe you wouldn't.

Reply to
adder1969