Renault 19 battery

Battery has gone in my 1995 renault and despite my best efforts (and others too its not just me being thick...I don't think) I can't work out how to get the old one out: it is held down by a bracket but can't find where to loosen it! Anyone to my rescue??? New one is sitting ready to go in as we speak..

Reply to
novice

Can you describe the holding down bracket?

yours similar to the one in the last two photos? I doubt it. Anyway,for this contraption one has to remove the top bar by unscrewing the twonuts at both ends! The nuts could be wing nuts, and they screw down throughwhat is known as a J-bolt whose lower end is a sort of a hook, passingthrough an aperture in the battery tray underneath the battery. You only have to work out how to loosen the crossbar on top of the battery.

Reply to
Lin Chung

No, that type would be fine to get off. There is no bar over the top, it seems to be held down from the bottom by a metal lip that is clamping along down the front bottom edge of the battery. In front of battery is a ?3 inch long ?3 mm diameter vertical thing like a straight allan key: I guess this might be the thing but no idea how to open it. Can't get at any other bolts/nuts underneath so can't see what else it might be! It is a car I bought v v cheaply at 10 years old, so may not be its original mounting method!

Reply to
novice

I can offer no answer. If there is no further help from here, you may like to post your query to the Renault newsgroup (free.autos.renault), or any Renault owners club/forum.

Reply to
Lin Chung

The 'Allen key' is in fact a long bolt with a hex head and a flange at the bottom to secure the battery bracket. Put a spanner or socket on it and undo it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat