New-style MOT certificate

I've just received one of these for the first time and it has a peel off sticker for the windscreen. Is it mandatory to attach this to the windscreen?

MM

Reply to
MM

MM (kylix snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No. Same as the old reminder sticker wasn't.

But why on earth wouldn't you?

Reply to
Adrian

What reminder sticker?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian McArdle ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The one that they've been giving out with MOT certificates for the last couple of years...

It's now a peel-off part of the new certificate.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah. I have never been given one.

When do the new certificates become compulsory? I got one last week and it was old style, AFAICT.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from "Christian McArdle" contains these words:

Have you looked behind the sun-visor?

Reply to
Guy King

Yep.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Christian McArdle ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They've been giving 'em out with the old-style certificates for the last couple of years. Small square blue sticker, MOT logo on the sticky side, space for the expiry date to be written - as a reminder - on the other side.

The current one is slightly wider, and is computer-printed with the VTS no, the reg and the expiry date.

It's not a case of "compulsory" - it's just that if the test centre's been computerised, you get a new certificate. They should finish 'em all, ooooh, about another decade or so.

Reply to
Adrian

It's quite a bit bigger than the old one!

MM

Reply to
MM

I suspect it depends on your MOT station - I haven't had one AFAIR.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

MM (kylix snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not *that* much - still much smaller than a tax disc. I can put one in a

2cv windscreen and not have it in the way...
Reply to
Adrian

Clive George ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I suspect every MOT station had 'em, and some "filed" the box immediately on receiving 'em... I've never thought of the one I use as being particularly, ummm, efficient before...

Reply to
Adrian

we get our new mot puter on Tuesday, in fact I cant wait, im pissed off with writing out duplicate certificates cos the customer couldn't be arsed to bring it in with him/her at the time of the test but decides to bring it in two days later to have the unexpired time added to the new one. !!!!!

should save time on all the paper work aspect too, when you've got 6 pages of end of month returns (vt12) too do its not funny.

also I can see possibility in the not so distant future, they will send out penalty's to the car owners for not having a mot ticket just like they do now with the car tax.

the customer will also be able to read the failure sheet ( vt30) as its now printed, ive seen some failure sheets from other garages and im sure they are written in some strange forgotten language & they will all have the same reason for failures, no one persons interpretation of it.

oh happy days ..............

Reply to
reg

How do you know it's for the windscreen? Mine simply says "Peel here" - can't see any instructions saying what to do with it.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

No, it's irritating. Like getting a bit of grit in the eye. You know you can't concentrate until you've managed to flush it out.

MM

Reply to
MM

It says on the accompanying leaflet.

MM

Reply to
MM

Which I didn't receive - am I missing anything significant? Thanks.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

The reminder sticker is simply that - A Reminder for the vehicle user of the date that their next MOT test is due.

I advise my customers to place the sticker on the rear of the tax disc holder.

The new style certificates should be issued with an accompanying leaflet explaining the computerised system. It includes details of how to tax your car online, etc.

A copy can be viewed at VOSA's website:

MOT queries/discussions Visit:

NT

Because we have brains.

Fuck sake. How did you manage to live so long?

Reply to
Conor

Surely you charge for such a service? It would make sense as it involves extra time and hassle? It'd seem fair enough to me - it's only a few seconds' extra work if they bring it with them when they get it tested initially, but more than that if they bring it back a second time.

Which, just like the SORN system is *completely* pointless if the car isn't being used on the road anyway. They've got plenty of ANPR cameras out there - why not just use them to determine which vehicles are being used illegally on the road?

Heh.

Reply to
AstraVanMan