New Wiper Motor?

I have an 8 year old Peugeot 406 and the wipers no longer park at the bottom, After using the wipers I have to flick the stalk control to try and get the wipers to sit at the bottom of the screen. I have changed the relay and the problem is still there, I've been told I need a new motor does that sound right or is it something else?

Thanks Len

Reply to
Len

Sounds like one or more of the electrical contacts inside the little gearbox attached to the motor that control where it stops have broken. I've had a 205 and a 306 whose wiper motors have failed in this way.

I never tried looking for bits to repair the motor with, just replaced the whole thing with parts from EuroCarParts or GSF.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I dunno your actual motor but most have a cam and switch to set the park position. Might be repairable - Lucas ones often were.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't have experience of the 406, but the Valeo ones in my 205 and 306 had little spring loaded fingers attached to the inside of the gearbox housing pressing on to a copper track laid on the cog that drives the output spindle. In both the motors I took to bits, one of the fingers had broken.

I never mustered the ingenuity to repair them, although I'm sure its possible.

Reply to
Douglas Payne