Front wiper motor 02 td5

The wipers on my 2002 D90 td5 have been giving trouble. First, the park packed up, also intermittent. Today they failed altogether. I found the 15 amp fuse had blown. Replaced the fuse and it blew again when I turned on the wipers.

I have now removed the motor and dissected the park control relay (in the small plastic box on the side of the motor). I am surprised that this is operated by a plunger bearing on a cam inside the motor with simple metal strips and contacts inside the relay!

One of these strips is broken (I'm guessing I did not break it when opening up the relay!) and the interior seems a bit oily, presumably from grease leaking from the wiper motor. I haven't tested the wiper motor yet, but I wonder if the strip of metal floating around inside the relay could have shorted something? Anyone experienced this problem before? I've done a Google but nothing significant comes up.

Derry

Reply to
Derry

Repling to my own post. There are three wires to the wiper motor but I think five to the relay. Yellow and red wires to the motor tested with

12V activate the wiper motor but nothing happens when power is put across one of these and the blue wire. There are three brushes in the wiper motor, two situated at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock and another at 9 o'clock, presumably for the two speeds. Maybe this information is of use to someone. Off to get a new park switch relay today and maybe a new motor. The wiper grease surely ought to be High Melting Point or it is going to leak into the relay, isn't it? Anyone out there??

Derry

Reply to
Derry