Peugeot 405 gear change probs

Hi all

I've got an '89 405 GL 1.9 estate that has got an issue with part of the gearbox. It seems to be mainly 3rd, when changing from 3rd to anything else there is a clunk noise when you pull it out of 3rd. None of the other gears have this problem.

Took it into a main dealer and he drove it and said the clutch was fine, but didn't check adjustment. He says he thinks that it will be the linkages from the stick to the box.... What do you all think?

It had a lot of issues when I got it but once this is sorted and I have changed the speedo drive unit hopefully everything else is cosmetic so I don't really want to get rid on the last problem but will if I have to.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Well don't pay peugeot prices on an 89 405 but changing the linkage bushes & resetting the linkage sounds like a sensible thing to try

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well to be fair, to do the linkages and speedo drive unit they wanted £100 ex VAT. That was for parts and labour.

Only problem is they can't fit it in untill after xmas and with all the police around I need a speedo, they say that they will have the parts in tommorrow morning and although the linkages looks like an arse of a job the speedo bit looks like a piece of cake (Haynes manual) hopefully it won't all go horribly wrong :)

Thanks for that anyway, I just wanted to make sure that it "could" be the linkages before I got stuck in.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Well the parts aren't much but the labours abit fiddly, not very bad though.

The speedo is easy, they do seem to fail repeatedly though so that's fortunate

Reply to
Duncan Wood