Non-garage mot?

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Which bit? He's in Telford. I doubt he'd have passed the wife's car[1] last time. I used him because I'm happy to have defects pointed out so I can fix 'em - my family travel in my car and though I try to keep it safe I've no objection to someone else failing it. I'm even happier than I know anything he points out really needs to be done and isn't inflated by his need to have a nice holiday that year.

When I ran a fleet of minibuses I only had an MOT failure once in over forty tests and that was emissions on a petrol Transit. That was at a garage which I wouldn't consider lenient at all.

[1] I don't often drive her Clio, but noticed the brakes took a lot off effort for a small car with a servo. Both calipers had seized. How it passed with wherever it went a few weeks earlier I've no idea - it was quite obvious from underneath that the discs weren't being wiped properly, one of them was rusty all over one side.
Reply to
Guy King

My ideal MOT station is one that will pass stuff marginal on emissions and point out things that 'could do with sorting out soon' rather than handing out fail sheets.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Hmmm. Not so sure I agree on that one - but then, I've never had anything so shagged out that it was even close to failing on emissions. Anything in remotely good order and tune should *walk* that part of the test.

No problem with this - assuming they know you and trust you WILL sort it. I've picked cars up from the test station with a "Here's your pass - and I'm glad about that new xxx you've just fitted to it - HAVEN'T YOU?" - that's the right way to do it.

Reply to
Adrian

Pre-cat non-Fords probably do pass easily ;-)

Carburettor fed CVH lumps almost always fail without a tweak, and anything with a cat has a 50/50 chance.....

A pass and being told 'I'd replace the lambda if I were you' would be nice under such circumstances.

There's plenty of stuff I've had fails on where I feel it's a little OTT

- condensation in headlamps, non-functioning horn or windscreen washer etc.

All pretty non-saftey critical stuff, but all stuff which technically attracts a fail.

Yes, I know these things should be checked before you go - but the horn was something I was pretty pissed off about (horn 'too quiet', even though it worked) and the washer motor failed on the way there.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

In that case, I'd like a good centre to just do that little tweak included. Same with an easy bulb swap - but that's a trickier one, as it's a bit more "Why didn't you notice and do it?"

So CVH Fords are shit. In other non-news...

Condensation in a light is often a good indication that the light's leaking water in, which is going to lead to a duff bulb or shitty illumination in no time - so it's going to need replacing soon enough, and it's not as if it would have come as a surprise to you.

Having driven cars with non-working horns and screen washers, I'd have to say "good". You don't appreciate 'em until they're fooked.

Indeed. And that's probably why they got tough. "If he couldn't even be arsed to sort the basic stuff, why should we bend over backwards for him?" - you waste their time, they waste yours.

Sounds about right to me.

Was it too quiet? Heart of hearts?

I wonder how many times they've heard *that* one where something's blatantly obviously been fooked for months?

Reply to
Adrian

Hadn't been an issue to me as it only happened in really heavy rain, and then only if the car had been standing on the drive. Never caused me any issues at all, other than the MOT fail

It's pretty petty to fail a car on stuff like that when the rest of it is absolutely fine.

How do you define 'too quiet' - it was hard to hear from inside the car, but was as loud as a lot of bikes I've owned from outside.

Heh, this is true. But, even so, it's hardly worth failing on, is it?

Reply to
SteveH

You obviously don't live in the Eastern half of the counytry if you think washers are optional.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm not saying they're 'optional', but giving me a pass with a reminder to sort it ASAP would have been appreciated. Instead I stopped going to that garage / testing centre, especially as it was combined with the headlamp condensation.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

Since I take my cars a month in advance I get the same effect with the added bonus that I do actually have to get round to doing the work.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I'd certainly not go back to a MOT station which failed me on headlight alignment without having a quick word with me first. Generally they'll just say "Headlight was a bit off - but I've twiddled it" or similar.

Reply to
Guy King

Thats good - but where's your locality?

Reply to
R. Murphy

I've been using one of these (Alan's in Mansfield) for several years now. I've four cars currently on the road - they've done others for me too - and are always very fair. I've been failed on things that should fail, and passed on the very borderline bits at times. Like when the handbrake cable snapped on test, but he said "well it worked for long enough to get a good reading, but get it fixed for me won't you!". Mostly my cars pass no problem because I check them first, but if there's a fail point then I have to do something about it. And that's how it should be - making sure my car is safe.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I've been using one of these (Alan's in Mansfield) for several years now. I've four cars currently on the road - they've done others for me too - and are always very fair. I've been failed on things that should fail, and passed on the very borderline bits at times. Like when the handbrake cable snapped on test, but he said "well it worked for long enough to get a good reading, but get it fixed for me won't you!". Mostly my cars pass no problem because I check them first, but if there's a fail point then I have to do something about it. And that's how it should be - making sure my car is safe.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I always take my car to a small garage near me, and will continue to do so even if I move out of the city (Hereford). I have been going to them since I bought my first car and they have proven themselves to be trustworthy even when faced with a lone female driver who, to be honest, knows little more than the basics of car maintenance. If it is cheaper for me to replace something with a scrapyard part they will say so, and the first time they even gave me directions to the scrapyard (I was new to the area). They even declined to replace a part I thought was broken, when it would have been simpler and more profit for them to just replace it and charge me for it rather than telling me the part wasn't broken. They have earnt my loyal custom and that of anyone I meet who's looking for a garage - when I get outstanding service I tell everyone I can!

Reply to
Helen Page

The message from Helen Page contains these words:

You might name them!

I failed my MOT yesterday - and quite right too, the brake master cylinder was weeping and I hadn't noticed. He mentioned that the headlight aim was a bit off but that he'd twiddle it when I came back. New bit arrives tomorrow, ten minutes to fit then half an hour to bleed and I shall be off to re-test.

Reply to
Guy King