Not car - bike, but gigglesome...

Making of the Triumph Rocket III

Reply to
Guy King

I just saw this today. Very funny. At first I thought it was a serious documentary!!

Reply to
loony

The message from loony contains these words:

My only criticism is that it's all a bit fast. If they slowed it down

10% it'd be funnier and more believable.

I s'pose it's aimed at the yoofertoday.

Reply to
Guy King

Very good! Oh, and WANT!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

2.3 litre triple. OMG!! Nearly a litre bigger than my car engine, it's supposed to handle surprisingly well for such a behemoth too... Triumph did a brave thing bringing that out but it seems to have hit the spot and got pretty good reviews. Must be the Argument juice that they added!
Reply to
loony

Makes you proud to be British. I'd love one of those. 766cc per cylinder! Must be like paint pots.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

My mate had one of the original Triumph Tridents built in the early seventies, I always remember the center cylinder (on strip down) being much smaller than the outer two, surprisingly the machine used the same clutch as a Mini.

I had (still have) a single cylinder AJS which happened to have the same size crank case bearing as was used on the Ford transit.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

I have a four cylinder 350cc bike. Scary to think that each cylinder of the Rocket III is more than twice as big as the whole cc of my bike. I think the cylinders on the Rocket are the same size as those in a V6 american muscle car but at the moment I can't remember which one!

Reply to
loony

loony ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No self-respecting 'merkin muscle car would have only six pots...

Other than that, it's just basic arithmetic.

The Rocket's got just under a 2300cc triple, so just over 750cc per pot.

That's 1500cc twin (Harley)

3000cc four or 4500cc six (Larger than normal, yes, but not exactly unknown over the years) 6000cc eight (Big block Chev, Ford etc) 7500cc ten (Chrysler)

Hell, you want big cylinders, look back at some of the larger Edwardian stuff - 7 or 8 litre (or much bigger) four pots were common.

And that's only cars and bikes...

Reply to
Adrian

Well there are the BOSS HOSS motorcycles with full chevy engines etc but let's not go there, I'm talking mass produced...

So what PRODUCTION bike (or car) has the smallest pots in a multiple cylinder arrangement (lets say four cylinder to make it more difficult). It used to be the 350 Four like my bike but I'm pretty sure that's been beaten now, but I'm not sure what by or what holds the record as the smallest capacity mass produced four cylinder ever.

Reply to
loony

loony ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

BRM's 1500cc V16 is roughly similar capacity per cylinder, but I think it's got you beaten on sheer complexity...

Even ignoring tiny 'ickle model plane engines, didn't one of the Italian bike manufacturers race a 50cc v6 or something similarly ludicrous?

Reply to
Adrian

V16... ha ha... definately complex but was it mass produced? I know honda had race bikes 125 4-cylinder nd 5 cylinder race bikes but again they weren't regular production bikes.

Wikipedia has a 250 cc Benelli/Moto Guzzi 254 which was a production motorcycle and seems to be the smallest straight 4 cylinder. Anyone know any different?

Reply to
loony