Bike Rack for a Defender

I want to buy a bike rack to go over the spare wheel of my Defender. Is there a particular one I should go for?

Thanks

James

Reply to
James Kindell

I got one from a bikeshop (don't remember the make, sorry). But one thing to watch out for is the distance between the posts the bikes hang off, mine is so big that only our largest bike fits over them.

Pieter

Reply to
pieter

In news:Iubvb.11083$ snipped-for-privacy@wards.force.net, James Kindell wrote: | I want to buy a bike rack to go over the spare wheel of my Defender. | Is there a particular one I should go for?

James,

Does it have to go over the spare wheel?

I looked at various makes and types when I wanted one. Eventually decided against the spare wheel type as I was concerned about all that extra weight hanging off the back door.

For wheel mounts you essentially have two main types: strap ons bolt throughs

The bolt throughs are basically a pair of 'horns' that you bolt through the two unused stud holes in the wheel. Looks a lot neater than strap ons, but mean you have to remove the spare everytime you want to fit or remove them. I was not happy with the idea of leaving them permanently fitted.

Although they are high up, also did not fancy having cyclists etc impaled on them. All that blood and guts - messy on the drive when you come to wash it off.

So I ended up with one of the tow bar mounted ones. Simple bracket that bolts on with the tow ball. Got a few spare brackets to go with the various sliders I have for my Dixon Bate tow hitch, plus I can mount the carrier on the wife's car too.

Downside is that once mounted, I can't open the back door. But then again, I doubt I would be able to with a wheel mounted carrier either.

As for which one - I opted for a cheapy from Towsure

- it does the job. More expensive ones have better padding, better finish, built in locks etc. If you go for a hitch mounted one, just make sure that it will clear the spare. Most manufacturers include a 4x4 model in their range.

Incidentally, Towsure's cheapy range (or some at least) are made by this mob -

Not a lot of difference in price, but more optional bits and a wider choice.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

James

id watch out for that door as well but the recommended rack in my cycling circles is the Hollywood Rack. Probably wouldnt clear the wheel but how much weight do you want those hinges to take?

3 bike ~£50, 4 bike ~£70

here they are

Ted

Reply to
teddave

James Kindell posted ...

We have a Paddy Hopkirk one that clamps onto the tow bar and clears the wheel completely. We also have one that shouls clamp (strap) over the wheel. The difference in usability, time to assemble, and security between the two is tremendous.

The towball mount is far superior. The only thing going for the spare mounted rack is that the door may still be opened with the bikes attached, though what this does to the hinges I dunno .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Try

Hope this helps.

Reply to
pl.white

I would watch the extra weight on the rear door hinges.

I use a maxxraxx 4x4 cycle carrier that bolts behind the tow bar and tilts to let the door open. I have used it with 4 bikes on but it is a bit heavy to drop and push back up with this weight on.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I hd a 300 Tdi Disco for just over a year and used (I think it was called) the Simbar bike rack. Carries 4 bikes and when fitted to a Disco is fantastic, takes about 10 secs to fit and take off with no apparent strain to the door.

Then I changed cars and went back to a Def 110. The Simbar fits the 110 back wheel (you need to fit the bracket upside down and drill another hole in the main support frame for the bikes, very easy and only a small hole, for the lock, and does not weaken the frame before all the structural engineers start). It all makes sense when you have the peices in your hand.

However, two bikes on the rear door no problem, although long term/ bumpoy ground I'm not too sure about. 4 bikes on the rear door, forget it too much weight.

Reply to
Steve Nunn