Celica Clutch pedal box.

Mates Celica ST185 GT4 turbo. Has anyone ever removed, or replaced the clutch pedal box on one of these? Clutch does not disengage completely. It's dragging quite heavily with the pedal fully depressed. I suspect the clutch pedal box has cracked.

Whilst not being that common, I have heard of a few cases of it cracking on Celicas and reducing the effective pedal travel.

The clutch seems OK otherwise. The dragging problem started after he heard a crack under the dash when he pressed the clutch pedal, so I think that's the

1st thing to check before investigating the clutch itself.

Bit of a long shot I know, but getting at the box seems like a sod of a job, as it's tucked up right behind the dash, so any tips from someone who knows how, gratefully received. TIA. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I'd weld the bastard in-situ. (just have a fire extinguisher handy).

JB

Reply to
JB

Put it this way. It's virtually inaccessable. Only a part of it can be felt, owing to the brake pedal box beside it, wiring harnesses etc, and little of it can be seen. No chance whatsoever of welding it in situ. Without stripping the closing panels under the dash, you'd be hard pressed to even get a spanner at it, never mind a welding torch, or MIG gun. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

After further investigation the problem is not with the pedal box. The bulkhead has cracked. The clutch master cylinder and bulkhead moves about 5mm when the pedal is depressed. When the m/c is braced so it can't move the clutch works perfectly. A fair bit stripping needed to access the crack with a MIG. Inlet manifold, strut support, various pipes etc, but an easy enough place to weld near the top of the bulkhead. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G