'Nother Good place

Since I was asked to name and praise the last time I found somewhere with good service...

I hit a pothole in the wife's car yesterday. I hit it hard enough and fast enough that I was sure that I wanted it looked at. Within a mile, I knew I needed to get stuff done with the back end vibrating. I'd pulled over and nothing was visibly wrong so I finished the journey with the back end waggling. I wasn't sure if there was some none obvious tyre damage, if I'd managed to dent a wheel without killing a tyre or if I'd managed to knock out the suspension in some way.

30 miles of vibration later.. I got up this morning for a proper look and those miles had revealed the problem in a scuffed and flat spotted rear right where the wires had snapped internally and led to a bulge being worn off. Much further and I'd have been dealing with a blow out.

I checked the roundness of the wheels and had a proper look at all of her tyres. The front driver's side tyre had a cut in it presumably caused by the pothole. The front passenger side was wearing on the outside (I was aware of this and was waiting for it to get lower before getting the tracking done when I bought a new tyre. By the time I noticed it wasn't worth getting it done to save the tyre).

K-Tee in South Wigston have a dearth of spotty teenagers in their workshop. They use a laser tracking guide. They haven't got lots of certificates bolted to the wall (David has completed level 1 in tyre changing). They have a few certificates (David gained a Distinction in HND motor mechanics).

More revealing was how they dealt with the car after me. The Renault Megane driver had problems finding the locking nut key for his alloys. A box was produced. This box contained lots of steel pins and what looked like a modified socket. On about the third try the nut turned, heat was applied to the socket and it was removed to quickly move onto the rest of the wheels.

I'd not seen a locking wheel nut picked before. I was duly impressed

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

In which case I am going to sing the praises of Micheldever Tyres...

4 Falken ZE512 fitted and balanced onto an Escort for not much more than 4 Colway remoulds...!

The local Colway dealer will do 4 tyres fitted for £28 each. Micheldever do the Falkens for £31 a wheel...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Seconded. I've been using them for years. Most of my cars seem to have needed performance tyres, and their prices are very competitive, especially for those. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Have used this place for over 30 years The owner Pete still works in the tyre and exhaust bay 5 days a week

Always had excellent service from them and with wife and kids cars we are using them for 5 vehicles

Tony

Reply to
TMC