Oil change!

Peter, here's some clue. Water cut the grand canyon out of rock. Eventually, oil pissing out of a cork gasket will go from a small leak, to a BFO one.

Reply to
Doki

suspected

Yeah, I know. I do need to make sure that the oil hasn't just been there since before the rocker box gasket was changed.

When my car was last serviced I asked the guy whether he'd be able to change the rocker cover gasket (and I gave him a gasket). When he serviced it he cleaned it all, and tried to find where the leak was from. At the end he said he wasn't sure where it was comming from, but he suspected that it was the head gasket. He also said that it's such a small leak it's not worth worrying about. If it was the head I would've thought that it would've been pretty important to replace. It was however the rocker cover gasket, which has now been replaced (and isn't leaking).

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Oh, from what people had been saying I thought it was always a good idea. I would've thought it would clear more dirt out of the engine than just emptying the oil.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It may even lift'n'shift it - to where you don't want it. I've heard of people switching to high-detergent oils or using flush, and killing perfectly good engines because crap's shifted and blocked an oilway.

More likely, it'll just do nothing useful.

Reply to
Adrian

Hehehe, we all have to start somewhere. I once took 2 months to do a clutch on a Mk3 Escort.

Right, now I know you said you spotted this oil down the side of the sump before you drained it, but could you possibly have spilt it a bit when topping it up one time? It's often easy to mistake something that isn't a leak for a leak.

Also, unless you've got absolutely every single drip off with perfection, after having done an oil change - that's anywhere the oil might have dripped from where the oil filter attaches - then don't panic if there are slight drips of oil, or rainbow patterns on the road when it's been raining. It could well be the result of water splashing up the underside of your car and bringing down the slightest drop of oil with it - oil that remained from the last oil change. Check it regularly and as long as it's not consuming too much it should be fine - and like I said in my other post, remember that all cars will consume a bit of oil, and 1/2 litre in 2000 miles isn't absolutely terrible, especially for one that's done loads of short journeys - and remember the mileage on yours for a 900cc engine isn't *desperately* low either.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

A magnet? Wimp! I just dip my hand in there and grab it out. And put up with dirty nails for the next bloody month......

If the Focus diesel's the Lynx TDI engine and is anything like my old Fiesta van with the same engine, yes they're a right bloody PITA - and once the oil filter's removed, there's absolutely no stopping oil dripping over everything - suspension wishbone arm (or whatever you call it), driveshaft, etc. - basically everything in sight. What a s**te design.

My 98 Renault Master van's extremely easy to do an oil change on. The sump plug points vertically down, so the flow of oil always points the same direction, and the oil filter's very easy to get to. When the engine undertray is on (mine came off - bloody thing!) there's even a hole in exactly the right place to access the sump plug, and a little flap that plops down to get to the oil filter. Brilliant, French engineering, innit?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

must've

It'd be VERY unlikely. The oil filler cap is on the opposite side of the engine, and I've only topped it up once, was very careful, and didn't spill a single drop. When I do oil changes I use a funnel anyway, so it's pretty hard to spill it. It's also pretty unlikely that it was from when I last drained the oil, because it's actually above the height of the drain plug, and around the other side of the sump. I am hoping that it's not a leak, but I'm hoping to jack it up tomorrow, and have a good look/clean up.

perfection,

consuming too

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@SwerveForeskinWeb.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Try the 70s Citroen flat four from the GS/GSA.

The filter's *really* easy to get to - it's about the first thing you see when you open the bonnet and remove the spare wheel.

But it's upside down.

And has a non-return valve to stop it emptying.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "AstraVanMan" contains these words:

Rubber gloves.

Reply to
Guy King

Trivial solution

Probably cheaper than swarfega & less likely to bugger your hands up.

Although if you're allergic to them you'll want to buy vinyl gloves. If you've already dried your skin out or turned it black wearing latex gloves with a good dollop of E45 inside makes your hands a lot more civilised later , although you do look rather weird whilst doing it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Why do you need something else to do that? Just sit in the car and use your right foot?

Reply to
T.

The message from "Duncan Wood" contains these words:

Expensive though. I pay £3 a box at the local boot sale. And they do XL, too.

Reply to
Guy King

15 mins! It was bad enough just walking around for 15 mins, let alone sitting down unable to move. Without a rev counter the revs could also easily drift up gradually.
Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

I really don't see the problem.

Use your ears - e.g. noise of the engine - keep it constant.

Equally, just 'cos they say fast idle 2k rpm etc. doesn't mean it has to be done exactly that for exactly 15 mins. It's the prinicple. A couple of hundred rpm up or down ('floating') is fine.

And what are you talking about unable to move?

*sigh*
Reply to
T.

Well I once overfilled my Honda engine and the oil leaked out around the crank bearings, luckily it stopped after the level went down and has been ok since..

Simon

Reply to
srp