Oil question

Couldn't resist re-posting this from another forum.

"Having just paid £115 for the oil on my cars first service (8.25 litres), I was wondering if it is "the done thing" to provide ones own oil for a service? Anyone done it or is it one of those things where you just have to bend over and take the pain!"

Is it just me ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Bloody Hell that £115 must include VAT - Vampire Added Tax.

Reply to
Jimmy

Jesus christ!!!!!

Was this guy stung BIG STYLE 10 litres of decent oil from "Halfrauds" only costs about £20-30 :-(

Reply to
Chris

Is there any kind of super-synthetic that I've never herad about ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

At that price I'd expect each oil molecule to be hand assembled by virgins!

Reply to
Slurp

Are you sure there wasn't a mistake on the invoice? Even a top brand fully synthetic shouldn't cost near that. Do you know what it was?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

VW 506.00 spec longlife oil (e.g. Castrol Edge 5W30) is £55 for 5 litres. If you have a Passat W8 the oil cost must be terrifying - but so is the mpg.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I've posted Zog's reply and asked what model it is. If I get a reply I'll post it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

The message from "Slurp" contains these words:

Hand pressed from selected cold strata by Canvey Island virgins. Which is why it's so rare.

Reply to
Guy King

I once paid £78 for 6 litres during a service once for Castrol SLX Longlife

  1. I decided after that to buy my own oil and give it to the garage. I use an independent now who doesn't mind.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

is that just the oil or the labour to change it as well ?

Reply to
reg

Very interesting. Thanks.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Just for interest's sake, I'll add the OP's ( other forum ) response.

The car is an E60 BMW 5 series diesel and if they have used the SLX oil then I do feel slightly less stung as it did 15500 before this first service (the invoice doesnt detail the oil used though - I will check).

I am following up with the dealer because having had the oil change the "computer" on the car now says it needs its next "Inspection 1" service in just 7000 miles - and guess what, they "must" change the oil then too! Ouch!

Great car though.

I hope your advice helps him get a better deal in the future.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

BMW stealers charge approx 13 quid a litre for 'their' oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You do, however, get 15,000 mile plus service intervals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not unusual these days. My mum's new Astra Estate has a 30,000/2 year fixed interval.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle