Oil specs

Just bought some 5w30 oil for the escort. I usually use mobil, but they don't stock it anymore. They said unipart gold was just as good (it's also more expensive). I've notice though that the unipart oil only conforms to SJ & not SJ & SL like the mobil stuff. SL is supposed to be a better spec oil, have I been had, should I take it back & get some better stuff?

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Oils that meet SL are actually significantly superior to oils that only meet SJ. That is not to say that SJ is unsuitable for your Escort. FWIW the price of lubricating oil is now increasing at an indecent rate. I wonder why? One major brand has just increased the price of a litre by an average of 35p at wholesale.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

TBH, if we are talking about a Zetec E or PTE in your Escort, and the oil changed every 6 months ish then an SH spec 5w-30 mineral is perfectly adequate, unless you drive particully harshly etc.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Whether the J designated API "S" series (that's for gasoline) motor oil rating is suitable for your car depends on what year your car was manufactured. "Motor Oil Guide: Which oil is right for you" (in PDF)

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has the M certificate, the latest API "S" rating. "Specifications and Approvals"

Lin Chung

Thanks for all the replies. I got a refund for the oil & got the ford oil which was £7 cheaper & conformed to SL. Yes SJ is suitable for my car (1997) but SL oil is better, & as its £7 cheaper it's a no brainer! I have more confidence in the oil that the manufacturers use themselves, I learnt my lesson years ago as duckhams has caused me problems on 2 cars, even though the adverts suggested that this is the oil my engine would choose!

Reply to
Dave Griffs