Oiling your brakes...

Whilst our motorhome was in getting its corroded brake disks replaced, I commented (tongue in cheek) that maybe I should spray the discs with WD40
or similar prior to any longish term layup.
Somewhat to my surprise, this was exactly what the garage suggested!
Safe practice or madness?
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On 13/03/2018 18:29, Tim+ wrote:

I'd say it was probably OK. WD40 won't leave much (non volatile) oil behind if it is a light spray, and brake pad materials are relatively insensitive to boundary lubrication. The temperatures generated with a spot of firm braking should "cook" any oil residue quite quickly.
I've had to drive things a couple of times where a front disk was flooded with brake fluid, and the loss of braking was not too noticeable.
On 13/03/2018 20:58, newshound wrote:

As it dries out, braking can be very fierce. I've had drums lock-on after applying brakes through damp brake shoes.
On 13/03/2018 21:05, Fredxx wrote:

Agreed. Similarly when the rust clears off rusty disks or drums. I'd sort of take it as read that one would drive more cautiously when there might be a temporary issue with brakes.
On 13 Mar 2018 18:29:32 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Since WD40 isn't an oil I would expect it to be ok. It will leave a coating of wax once it's carrier evaporates. Of course take it easy when you do use the vehicle again and make sure the wax is burnt off early in your trip. I expect it to be a bit like having driven through a ford, the wet one - not the car :-)
The one thing that gives me pause for thought is what about the area of the disk covered by the pads. That won't be coated and so will rust and that will make the disk uneven.
--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;