Dream workshop

I’m getting old, or feel like it, want to build a new workshop insi de my new 20m by 8m garage I’m planning for next winters project-sp
ecificity for all year round comfortable and clean pleasurable working!
I am thinking of having part of it sectioned off, maybe 6m of it so I have a workshop of 6x8m. Also, with scisor lift and underfloor heating heated b y a air source heat pump. A pal recommends adding some floor lights into th e floor under the lift for lighting up whatevers on the lift. I am thinking of putting 60cm deep kitchen melamine worksurface around the edge of the workshop along with a pillar drill and press I have in my old w orkshop. Leave space for tool chest and an engineers desk I have too.
Is there anything else you’d recommend for an ideal workshop?
I use it for restoring cars, motorbikes, including painting with 2k.
Steve
snipped-for-privacy@langstoncareltd.co.uk wrote:

A sink. One thing no-one ever fits!
And many, many mains sockets.
--
Scott

Good point! Belfast size! And air points!
On 14/03/2018 18:24, Scott M wrote:

And three phase for the lathe, and a decent sized welder.
On 14/03/2018 16:54, snipped-for-privacy@langstoncareltd.co.uk wrote:

if you are really getting old, a loo :(
--
Robin
47...planning ahead, but since losing 12stone in weight I feel the cold sommat chronic!
On 14/03/2018 18:46, Robin wrote:

That's what the sink is for!
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 14/03/2018 16:54, snipped-for-privacy@langstoncareltd.co.uk wrote:

Gas boiler, air con, forget the scissor lift, get a hydraulic two post with no floor obstruction, it can do much more. Telephone line. Alarm. cctv. Flameproof air extraction.
Ta chaps.
Any thoughts on how to construct the walls? I am thinking strip foundation for walls with insulation backed plasterboard dotted and dabed. And the flo or with concrete slab, 4” of insulation and a very strong mix of sc reed to withstand th weight of a car?
Steve

Or use concrete - poured fairly wet so that the small stuff comes to the top when you tamp it so that you can get a smooth surface. Either way, bury some re-inforcing mesh in it. When dry, paint it with concrete paint to stop it shedding dust.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 16:29:04 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

I'd have water walls in there too if he's planning on spraying; keeps the dust down!
Never heard of water walls, when I sprayed in a shed, I’d wet the w alls and floor...
On 17/03/2018 01:14, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Only useful for spraying frames and such, no help when doing panels on the vehicle! (OK they will entrain a bit of dust).

Expensive, hard to attach shelves etc. and unlikely to survive very long. Strip foundations, double skin dense concrete blocks and fibre insulation.
And the floor with concrete slab, 4” of insulation and a very strong mix of screed to withstand th weight of a car?
Concrete slab with rebar on top of 4" insulation, no screed. But that all might change when you know what the roof will be.

Kitchen worktop is useless for a workshop. Not strong enough. Make it from layers of decent ply, glued together.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

I was going to say that. OK for a small/clean items or electronics type stuff. These are good too
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cwb2000b-engineers-bench/?da=1&TC=GS-040317805&gclid=CjwKCAjw-bLVBRBMEiwAmKSB8-9B9bVoZvo0mJXzUicQ-AKzXxjE9DSxRCzE6ZJCVg3Q7y17KxHfcRoCapMQAvD_BwE
although you might add a sacrificial rubber mat or sheet of plywood for stuff that might damage the powder coat
I like those workbench for serious heavy work, and maybe ply as suggested d ouble thickness for the rest of the work areas? For the walls maybe concrete outer block, rock wool and a lightweight insul ation block on the inside painted white. Will start puttting together a layout. I’m thinking of storage for tools, parts and sundries down the sides and nearer the garage doors and wo rk benches towards the business end. Keep the scissor lift near the middle of the garage? With enough space in f ront to put a couple of trestles for working on an engine or body panels?
Steve

Ideally, something quite substantial for the inner wall too. For fixing shelves, etc to. And not something easily damaged.
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

On 14/03/2018 16:54, snipped-for-privacy@langstoncareltd.co.uk wrote:

So, just the right size for a subsequent planning application for 'conversion' to a house ?.