Old Diesel engine

When you come to buy a old diesel car, How do you check the engine condition apart from check the oil and water? As they are loud so It's hard to notice any strange noise. I have heard you can get some information from the exhaust??? Anyone knows the detail?

Many thanks

Reply to
mini86

Look for blue smoke, excessive oil leaks and rattles.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks for you reply.

Blue smoke = worn pistion ring Rattle = ? Where are the Oil leak nead beware?

I have also heard by look at the tailpipe can tell you something?

Reply to
mini86

That'll be the smoke!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

just check it starts ok from *stone* cold

the less smoke the better in general although mine smokes (white) a bit at start up and like a chimney (black) when under certain loads, eg going uphill with foot down , I like warding off bumper riders with that trick !

The MOT test is to rev the bollocks off it and see how much it smokes BTW.

Simon

Reply to
srp

Thanks for all your reply.