clocked cars

If I bought a car and later found evidence it had been clocked, what comeback/compensation would I have from the selling trader?

I see cars advertised as "mileage verified" how do they verify the mileage? I have seen cars advertised as such and upon investigating the service history find that the advertised is mileage is incorrect.

For example if you buy a car advertised at 100,000 miles but really has done 170,000 miles then obviously you have paid over the odds and the car is more likely to wear out quicker than if it had the miles advertised.

There is also the problem I suppose of establishing where in the chain the car has been clocked.

I guess there is no way of checking the mileage of the car unless you can verify its service history with the garages that have done them?

Reply to
Jack Roper

If it's an older car, past MOTs will give the mileage after 3 years. A newer car should have a stamped up service book or computerised service history. If it doesn't, buyer beware. It's best to assume it *has* been clocked. There might be an exception with lease cars bought *direct* from the lease company at auction, as some won't supply service records.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ex-lease cars aren't immune to clocking though. They're often clocked by keepers who want to avoid paying penalties for exceeding milage allowances.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Often? Most are leased by firms, not individuals. And the clocking would have to be regular to not come to the notice of the leasing company who must be on the lookout for such things? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but often? I'd guess not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I reckon it's often - the cost of a basic 3yr 36k mile lease is much lower than a 3yr 120k miler, and most cars will be fine running 40k miles between services.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You mean without Oil change or major service?

Reply to
mini86

Two or three times in the past I've received inquiries from garages asking me to advise mileages when I've sold a car.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

yeah.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I suppose "often" is always relative, but I remember watching one of those expose type programs about clocking, where they interviewed someone from a clocking "company". They reckoned that a good proportion of their business came from people trying to cheat their lease company.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Colin Stamp scribed for want of a better word:

Ohh dear A long time ago a company I worked for, replaced cars at Nine months or 45k miles whichever was the sooner My cars got to 45k at six months lol :-) Someone got a bargain then?

Reply to
Domestos

If you're intending to do it to that extent then you just get the oil changed at places other than the dealer.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Or not at all...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, they called it "odometer realignment" or some other bullshit. The guy explained that it could be necessary if the old odometer had worn out and they needed to fit a new one, u knuw...

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen