old rover 414 wont start

Hi, I am a newbie when it comes to car maintainance.

I have a rover 414 (h reg) which has always started first time. I got a replacement car, and have had the rover standing in my drive for the last few months. I have just tried to start it up, having out an advert in my local press to sell it. It wont start. Tried with the accelerator on, tried without, I have almost flattened my battery.

It seems like mildew is forming inside the seating area, can anyone suggest any obvious problems, which are simple to fix?

thanks

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

Dist Cap/Rotar arm/ coil

Reply to
JK

Now, the distributor cap, is the metal thing, with rubber plugs attatched? I unscrewed that, it was clean and dry inside.

Now what is the rotar arm and coil, and how easy are they to get to?

thanks for the quick response

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

Just to respond further, I turned the car over during a nasty frost about a month ago and it fired up first time!!!, now i come to sell it and it seems screwed. Would it be worth getting a driver out to fix it?

Gaz

Reply to
Gaz

Is there a spark at the leads ?

remove plug lead... insert an old spark plug and rest it against the engine... get someone to crank the engine.... is it sparking ? YES = Distributor cap / rotor arm / coil is all OK NO = Problem....... remove coil lead from distributor (distributor is on side of cyl head...with plug leads coming from it ...5 leads in all) and insert spark plug in it and rest against engine.... get someone to crank engine over....is it sparking ? YES = Coil is OK....REPLACE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR ARM.( rotor arm can be tested...but that's another story...are only £3.00) NO = Ign Coil faulty or no supply voltage to coil or faulty Distributor pick up.

**NOTE** If you do not have a spare spark plug to perform above tests then use a screwdriver and hold it about 3mm from a solid metal part of the car while inserted in the lead and a spark should arc across...... or hold on to the screwdriver blade and you will hover 6 inches above ground level while car is being cranked !!!....**IMPORTANT** Latter should not be attempted if pacemaker is fitted !!

JK

Reply to
JK

It'd be worth getting a mechanic out, especially as you don't even know what a rotor arm or coil is.

Reply to
Conor