ROVER 414 Cuts out

I have a '94 Rover 414 which exhibits the following problem:

Driving along when a complete loss of power occurs. Ignition remains on (and all electronic equipment works) but pres sing accelerator doesn't give power. Changing down gears just slows the car faster, until eventually it comes to a halt. If you then depress the clutch or take it out of gear it will tick over apparently normally, although maybe a little rough. If you tap the

accelerator the revs dip, and if you press it enough it will stall.

Leaving the engine running for a while, or turning off and re-starting it straight away, doesn't cure it. It needs to be left off for a minute or two before restarting and then it's fine - will revv up and drive off.

When it is not playing silly beggars it runs well. There is usually the odd hiccup of power going off then coming back again, which warns you that it will probably soon cut out completely. The power loss is clean - not like spluttering/misfiring.

Any ideas what is causing it?!

Reply to
Yiannis

Fuel filter?

Reply to
gazzafield

we have put a new one all ready !!

Reply to
Yiannis

Fair enough. Fuel pump or most likely fuel pump relay. It sounds like fuel starvation. I could be very wrong though.

Reply to
gazzafield

Thanks !! I am not a mechanic but If is fuel problem why the engine is runing ? whta is the the fuel pump relay ? I need to explain this to the mechanic here in Athens!!

Reply to
Yiannis

The engine is running as it sounds like ( and as I sya I could be wrong ) intermittent fuel starvation. The fuel pump relay is a small electromagnetic switch in with the other relays under the bonnet that switches the fuel pump on and off. You should also be able to hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on. Turn the ignition on (don't start the engine) and listen very closely for a slight "whirring" noise from under the rear seat.

You should hear this every time you start your car after it has stopped running for a couple of minutes. If you don't then the relay is not switching the fuel pump on to prime it. ie: fill it with fuel.

Reply to
gazzafield

Or air starvation. Many years ago we had a Renault 4 that used to suffer severe carburettor icing under certain weather conditions (usually when very damp rather than very cold)

Once the engine stops, heat soak from the engine quickly melts the ice removing the evidence. No idea whether Rover 414s of that vintage were prone to icing but the symtpoms sound the same. Does it have a carburettor (or single point injector)?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

A '94 would surely be injected.

Reply to
gazzafield

I dare say but I guess a single point injector could be as prone to icing as a carburettor.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Never had a problem with mine. The manifold is also warmed with the coolant as per most cars these days to try and avoid such instances.

Reply to
gazzafield

Fair enough. I know b*gger all about those cars, just threw it in as an outside possibility. Certainly the symptoms are the same.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie