Older drivers' licensing

I can't speak for anyone else of course but I know I can be 'impatient' sometimes, especially when I'm on a mission.

However, there are times in the day when it's pointless, like during the rush hour but at those times I think there is an obligation to 'get on with it' at least. It's often under these conditions when 'most people' are likely to be less tolerant, like someone not getting off smartly when the lights change.

Yup, had that yesterday, undertaken by someone on a roundabout to then see them force their way into the traffic just after the roundabout (gaining two places max).

And / or abiding by the rules.

Whilst I think there is a distinction between old in age and old of mind, I generally agree that you don't often see the really old in the outside lane. You can sometimes see them stuck in the middle lane though. ;-(

What don't understand (or maybe I do but jest don't accept) is that how people can act so differently when behind the wheel, compared to when face to face ... and how many simply hide behind the mask of their vehicles.

A mate pulled out onto the road in front of someone who (as it turned out) was traveling *way* over the speed limit and so in spite of giving it the beans himself and the guy obviously speeding, the speeder gave my mate all the lights and arm waving etc. It seemed like the speeder was following my mate to work, pulled up a couple of cars beside him and mate got out 'ready' for this guy to kick off. As it turned out he worked in the same building and didn't even look my mate in the eye as he walked past. Just as well probably as my mate is a fairly good martial artist. The trouble is and these days, people get stabbed to death for less. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

johannes

I don't have to brake very often at all to avoid people. Forward planning and observation...

Reply to
Clive George

Didn't we all:!..

Is this an ageing thing on the part of the observer perhaps;?..

I don't know if its quite an age thing but it does seem to me the test should be experienced staged as it were.

Probably like a PPL where you have to do x hours to get anywhere..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes that damnation happens here all the freakin time on the A14 leave anything like decent gap and some prat will jump in it and then don't get me stated on tailgating either!...

I had something like that happen a while ago I started on at the bloke that "Jesus loves you my son" he cleared off very sharpish suppose no one can stick a religious wannabee nutcase!...

Reply to
tony sayer
[...]

Perhaps, but my generation often left school at 15, and were expected to provide financial input to the family home. Going into the workplace at that age ensured you grew up fast!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I agree - and that's why I keep at least 6 seconds behind the car in front and look as far as I can see down the road.

Oh, and btw, that was just a little sarcasm on my part, but it's surprising how many of the 'idiots' decide that they want to overtake on the many blind corners and hill crests around here, and then seem quite surprised to suddenly 'find' a vehicle coming towards them; forcing the 'idiot' to brake quite heavily to get back onto the right side of the road - with a knock on effect for the other drivers in the queue.

Reply to
Let It Be

No real different from some these days apart from that more are now in higher education or Uni etc...

Reply to
tony sayer
[...]

You must know very different young people from the ones I know!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I dunno. My parents didn't prepare me particularly well for leaving school and living away from home. Things like cooking and housework were considered woman's work. Kids today often do get a grounding on such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
[...]

I must be in a parallel universe!

Before I was 16 Mum made sure I could wash and iron a shirt, sew on a button, press a suit, and cook a basic meal. Dad added proper shoe cleaning, how to tie a tie, basic bike maintenance. My parents were fairly progressive, it has to be said.

My kids' peers are completely clueless about such basic stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I learned to iron shirts and press pants and be tidy during 2 years national Service in the RAF.

BBRRRMPFFF! Bring back National Service, it interrupted many a career, including mine. :-(

Reply to
Gordon H