One for Andy Hewitt

The quest to find one car that does it all for me and long enough to counteract my reputation that I change my cars more often than my shirt my have hit the buffers somewhat...

So I'm also looking at "fun" cars to alleviate the boredom of the Jetta and one that snuck on there was the CRX "del Sol".

Anything special to look for apart from the selection of garish bodykits and that neither seller nor car are bent?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

You can get help for that, you know.

Reply to
SteveH

Judging by your .sig it didn't yet work for you :-P.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

That's the snag now really, the CRX is a rather old car now, the last ones are about 10 years old.

The main things to look out for are the roof, especially the electric ones, they are *very* expensive to fix (like £800), and brakes. At this age they are both prone to wear and corrosion.

You also need to check the seal around the top of the screen, they can leak, and are £200.

Of course you've hit the biggest issue already, finding an unmodified example is very hard now.

TBH though, the better CRX is the pre-VTEC 1.6i-16v. These were very quick, and much more drivable than the VTEC models.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Cheers Andy.

The advantage (to me) of the Del Sol is that it would be almost a convertible. And I like convertibles...

I assume that your recommendation would be the second generation CRX (ie the pre-Del Sol one), correct?

All this idle speculation may be completely moot if I can find an M5 that is within budget and doesn't need the purchase price spending on it immediately but otherwise I would be looking into convertibles and the list is rather shortish - 1st gen MX-5, CRX or RX-7 T2.

Obviously in your company I would never mention that the above list may also include the 105-series Alfa Spider...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Not a bad choice..... however, I prefer the Fiat 124 Spider personally.

Alternatively, why not a Bertone GTV? - or even a later Alfetta GTV6?

X1/9?

Reply to
SteveH

No problem.

Aye, but at that age, just not worth it, the open tops just aren't a good motor. Nothing specifically wrong with them, but they didn't age well.

Yes.

Of that lot, and knowing *you* :-), I'd say the MX-5, just about a classic, and *usually* bullet proof too. Don't bother with an RX at your budget, that's almost certainly a recipe for tears.

Alfas, ah the memories (erm, read that as nightmares!)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

They have to be the rustiest car I've ever known!

Having said that, with Timo's luck, you never know.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

OK, that is enough to put me off.

Hmm, I'll have a look but again the problem would be finding an unmolested one...

Well, the thing is that the budget would be big enough to include an RX Convertible that had a recent rebuild. Actually I'm hot on the trail of two that of those at the moment... I do know rather a lot about RX-7s so I know I could recognise a good one but the problem is finding said beastie.

I take your point about the MX-5 and that's likely to be my choice - compared to both an A**a and the RX-7 is probably the most rust resistant, it doesn't drink petrol like it's going out of fashion (like an RX) and the power difference to the RX can easily be overcome by fitting a supercharger...

Heh. I've got "fond" memories of one that I partially restored for a c*ut who was supposed to pay me for the job...

I like their looks but compared to an MX-5 they are so *obviously* a product of the 60s that's been tarted up over the years plus the usual Italian car owner mentality doesn't help...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Hmm. Double Hmmm.

Because the bloody thing has a *roof* on it. One that cannot be removed without using an angle grinder.

Don't laugh, I've had two. I was toying with the idea of getting a decent one and squeezing some more power out of the engine (which isn't that hard if you're prepared to get some work done on the head). The problem is the climate around here and the fact that about five years ago (when I had my last one) even "consumables" like brake calipers had to be imported from Italy and would turn up whenever Luigi in the shipping department felt like it. The spares situation in the UK back then was pretty dire and I doubt it has improved since. Which also rules out two of my other ideas for classics - Lancia Beta Spyder and a Lancia Montecarlo...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

*cough*
Reply to
DervMan
[Snipped Text]

They're not bad, but they just make a good cheap runaround now, and you need to be prepared for regular maintenance.

Indeed.

[Snipped Text]

They're just nasty if something does go wrong though.

The only problem with an MX-5 is their rather 'hair-dresser' kind of appeal.

Personally I think the MX-5 is a no brainer really, it'll look OK, work OK, and go well enough.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Well, I dobn't have a problem with that but why would I want a runaround for fun?

The only thing that tends to wrong with them is the engine and that I can get rebuilt for reasonable money. But then we're back to M5 running costs...

HKS Turbo kit or JR supercharger and I'll be the fastest hairdresser in town. I had one last summer and liked it (but this time I'd want a better one). To me it's a proper sports car but it does allow you the option of keeping your license. And if I feel particularly daft I can still attempt to squeeze about 180 RWHP out of the engine...

Well yeah, I' slowly coming around to that conclusion myself...

Now all I need is to find someone who'll buy my Range Rover off me.

Reply to
Timo Geusch
[Snipped Text]

Indeed.

That's how I look at them, a well built small sports car is more fun than a big muscly car IMHO. Each has it's merits, but I think in the UK the MX-5 is such a well suited motor.

Another couple of years and you could be looking at the Civic Type R as an option too :-)

What, with your reputation!!! ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I didn't say it would be easy...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Your sig gives a 403 error.

Reply to
Yozzi

I'll give you my 155 for it :-p

Reply to
Pete M

If by 403 you mean the website isn't there, you're spot on - I deleted it this afternoon and it's uploading a replacement...

Reply to
DervMan

The message from "DervMan" contains these words:

Nah, 403 is "Forbidden: You don't have permission" And, at nearly 7 o'clock it still is.

Reply to
Guy King

How dead is it? I may be tempted...

But I have to warn you, the Range Rover is pretty much what you'd expect when you think "Timo got an old Range Rover"...

Reply to
Timo Geusch