Opinions from the engineeringisti

Let's not start on grub screws, studs and all-thread. It's not obsolete round here were we still have one or two places making them, never mind screwing/bolting things together.

Thread all the way is a screw in all it's many variants. Thread not all the way and a head is a bolt

Reply to
Pete Fisher

Unless its a screw

Reply to
steve robinson

That figures. I'm pretty obsolete myself.

Reply to
Huge

Precisely. I first got corrected on this in a tiny little back-street tool shop in Welwyn Garden City in (I should think) the 80's when I asked for a bolt and when it came I said I wanted it threaded all the way down, which earned the response of rolled eyes, a sigh and the comment that I actually wanted a machine screw.

Reply to
Huge

Nonsense, isn't it?

Precisely.

Reply to
Huge

It's fair to say that socket head fasteners can be particularly split personality but if I go in to James Lister and ask for a M6 x 50mm socket head bolt I will get a different animal to a M6 x 50mm socket head screw, or I should IMO.

Reply to
Pete Fisher

I'm not about to embark on a 360 miles round trip to my office to grab my book that has a glossary of terms so we can sit and quote them to the rabble all day.

I *might* have a smaller book in my van that has a few pages on the subject but I'm not going to get it because it's raining and my usual smoking hole is the garage and I only need to step of the back door and take one step to the left to get in there.

Reply to
Andy B

Agreed. As an engineer for 30 years now and having dealt with dozens of others during that time we always refer to a fully threaded fastener as a screw or machine screw and one with some length of plain section of shank as a bolt. Makes no difference whether the fastener is being held by a nut or being screwed into a component.

There might not be any authoritative reference for those definitions either here or on the other side of the pond but at least in the industry we all know what each other is talking about and that's the only thing that really matters.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Precisely.

Reply to
Huge

At a guess, a nut is a fastener; it serves no other purpose. A threaded hole is implicitly integral with one part of the item being held together.

Reply to
PipL

Not cross-threaded, though.

Reply to
PipL

What about a nut that's been spot-welded in place?

Reply to
ogden

So captive, that it has a life sentence eh?

Reply to
Pete Fisher

Angle grinder.

Reply to
crn

When I retired, I copied a few of the reference works I had in my cubicle, apparently just so I could quote them on Usenet. They're all of 10' away in the office, and my chair has wheels.

Reply to
Thomas

Yes, and a screw.

Still a screw, yes.

You can, of course, make a bolt for the door without a thread.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I just wish they'd stop getting parole.

Reply to
Adrian

Apparently squirrels lose about 30% - 50% of their nuts.

Reply to
davethedave

s'ok. Our kitten's lost 100% of his.

Reply to
Adrian

This one lost a rather higher percentage -

> Old I know, but worth another trot out.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat