Opinions from the engineeringisti

And apparently woodpeckers too!

Adrian C

Just thought I would throw in my 2p worth. Under BS 3692:1967 a screw is threaded to within less the 2 thread pitches of the head and a bolt has a plain shank and is only threaded for 2 X Dia plus a set amount. The definition given by the ASME meets the process but not the faster for BSI, eg, an item is bolted together if the faster goes through un-threaded holes and a nut used and is screwed if it engages with a threaded component. But in modern times we in the UK have got corrupted by the USA and so just about everything with a hex head is called a bolt!

Reply to
algynts