OT: Government mulls car scrapping incentive scheme

this happens I'd say the price of £100 bangers would go through the roof as people buy them up in advance of the new scheme coming into force to put the £2500 into a newer car and then sell it. They would need a stipulation that if you claim the money, the car cannot be sold for a year or two to stop this happening. Personally I am sick of all these ideas and wish they would leave older vehicles unaffected as I didn't know these things would happen when I bought it. So much is applied retrospectively to old vehicles now. The London LEZ will put stop my old campevan moving about inside the M25 from Oct 2010. If I'd known that when I bought it 7 years ago I would have probably not have bought it or it would have been worth less.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

"Mark" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it won't.

Adrian

"Mark" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, and even before it was halted, it wasn't "inside the M25". It was within London. They're not the same thing, despite Ken's regular attempts to confuse the two in the public's minds.

Reply to
Adrian

My camper would be effected if I told them I had changed it to diesel. Imagine if you owned an plder diesel camper AND lived in the lez? you would have to pay 200 quid evertime you drove it, not really fair on a vehicle like that.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

If this happens I'd say the price of £100 bangers would go through> the roof as people buy them up in advance of the new scheme coming> into force to put the £2500 into a newer car and then sell it. They> would need a stipulation that if you claim the money, the car cannot> be sold for a year or two to stop this happening.>

Mark,

This *may* cheer you up a little!

If it affects you that is.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

> If this happens I'd say the price of £100 bangers would go through>> the roof as people buy them up in advance of the new scheme coming>> into force to put the £2500 into a newer car and then sell it. They>> would need a stipulation that if you claim the money, the car cannot>> be sold for a year or two to stop this happening.>>

That only helps people with quite late campers that are currently OK but would have become illegal in 2010, any slightly older diesel vans and campers are already banned from the LEZ

One of my main beefs with the system is the lack of info. that has gone out to owners (zero), all you will see as you approach London is a sign saying something like 'LEZ starts in two miles' No details of what it means or what vehicles it effects or what the penalties are. Imagine someone driving down from the North in an ordinary camper van just a few years old and visiting London sights on their way to Cornwall, then getting home to a multi hundred pound bill for daring to visit London.

In my case I live just outside the LEZ and cannot use my van to go into London without incurring a 200 pounds a day charge, this is annoying since several of my family live in the LEZ Where else in the world could you drive and incur such a charge without any prior, clear, warning? Much worse are the poor souls that live in the LEZ and had a camper or van or lorry that suddenly became impractical to use due to the 200 pounds a day 'charge' (surely a fine by another name)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

>> If this happens I'd say the price of £100 bangers would go through>>> the roof as people buy them up in advance of the new scheme coming>>> into force to put the £2500 into a newer car and then sell it. They>>> would need a stipulation that if you claim the money, the car cannot>>> be sold for a year or two to stop this happening.>>>

Depends what you mean by "quite late". My 22 year old campervan (VW LT35) would have been ok to go inside the LEZ up until Oct 2010 . After that it would have to pay £100/day.

Similar for me. I live about 70 miles north of London but family and friends all live there and often bring my van down.

As you say, grossly unfair in just about any way you look at it. Retrospective and applied to vehicles already in use. I had no idea I would not be allowed in London LEZ when I bought my van. In fact the LEZ didn't exist. My van wouldn't have been worth so much to me if I knew I couldn't get into London. And as you say, no letter sent to owners officially telling us about this. Its a bit relief it's not going to go any further. As I understand it they just have to go through the legal side to stop it coming into force, so not exactly scrapped yet, but all in name I would think. If Livingstone had stayed in power you can bet his next step would have been to apply it to 4x4's and then cars, so it's not just the likes of campervan and horsebox owners that should be rejoicing.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Yeah we know. Just would be tedious to word everything like I am drafting my divorce just to satisfy pedants like you. We all know it doesn't exactly follow the M25 as a boundary, but it's close enough for this conversation.

Mark

Reply to
Mark