ot Insurance for old car

I have an old Micra 1.0 ('93). I keep it on the road becuase it is good mechanically, I can fix most things myself it is cheap to run and great for about-town driving.

It's value is probably £50 :-) but the insurance is £250 pa. (full comp). The insurance Co say is no cheaper for T.party!

If I search around, what could be a "reasonable" price to keep said car on the road would you say? Thanks vm.

Reply to
dave

I'd say it's up to you, a total of under a tenner a week including road fund licence isn't bad.

I doubt you'll get much better on the insurance, as it costs the company a fair bit just to deal with the paperwork. I paid £186 for a '91 Panda a couple of years ago, and was told the same. In fact TPFT was a bit more expensive.

Reply to
John Williamson

I guess so. Just seems mad when the insurance costs 5x more than the item :-)

Reply to
dave

In message , dave writes

But if you hit a Rolls with the said item? :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Not nearly as galling as doubling the value when you fill it with fuel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

or a bus queue.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Or you drive off a bridge onto a railway track.

Reply to
James

Exactly. You are not insuring the car, you are covering the damage that you mght do with it. It is part of the cost of being out there in the traffic.

Reply to
krak

Try classic insurance. It's fully comp, works for cars over 15-20 years old, and they don't care so much about your age, postcode etc. Quotes around 150 quid would be the sort of thing I'd expect if your car qualifies. It pays no attention to NCB, and doesn't earn you NCB either (so go back to normal ins every three years to keep your NCB current).

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I got caught on the three years after having my car off the road, the NCB was wiped out after 2 years.

Reply to
rp

ok ok ok.... ok... ok :-)

Reply to
dave

You have to be careful with Classic Car insurance. Some insist the car isn't your only one. Some that it is garaged. Some won't allow it to be used for commuting. Etc. Mine is now back on ordinary insurance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)