OT - Insuring multiple cars

You guys don't know you're born. !

£600+ 3rd party on an Alfa 146 with my NCD £600+ 3rd party on a 899cc Fiat Cinquento if I want to include the missus and thus not be able to transfer my NCD from the Alfa

Both are the best quotes I've found....so far...

Still, it's a long way off the £1600 I paid to insure an 1.6 Escort way back when I was 18. Ah...to be young and naive again. You probably think I still am, judging by the above quotes.

Reply to
MikeL

It says on TRADEX that it excludes high performance or exotic cars - exotic, fair enough, but what's an insurer's definition of high performance these days?

Reply to
fishman

I just got an online quote by filling in their web form. By pushing the excess up to the max, it comes down to just over 600 for

3rd Party F&T, which is probably about what I'd pay if I were to take out a seperate policy on the extra vehicle. So I'd be weighing up the convenience of a policy that covers me to drive any other crap I pick up off Ebay against all the advantages my current policies provide - i.e. breakdown cover, reasonable excesses, agreed value fully comp cover for the classics, etc. Not much point going ahead really, which is a pity.
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Hmmm...I didn't get an option on an online quote, just a promise that they were going to get in touch. Which they haven't yet...

Must try again as anywhere near that quote would make me happy :)

Reply to
MikeL

That or an extremely piss poor driver who lives in Baghdad.

Reply to
gazzafield

My mate pays just over £500 a year for his trade policy, which includes SD&P, and had several points on his licence when he applied for it.

Nope.

He's never had to explain to the PO. The wording is "any vehicle owned by, in the custody of or used in the course of business". Also covers any person driving the car during a test drive too.

OTOH, I think you're correct about the plod tugging - especially with ANPR.

Reply to
Conor

I think you'll find he does.

Google for "4th EU Motor Directive"

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well, after many enquiries, quotes and them never phoning me back, turns out they won't insure me on a motor trade policy as I'm not involved in the trade, nor can I have the "Enthusiasts" policy as I need to own more than 5 cars.

Shame.

Reply to
MikeL

MikeL ( snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I enquired last week, too - and got a phone call from them within a couple of days.

They wouldn't touch me for a trade policy, as I don't change cars often enough (I said one per month) - and they didn't mention an "Enthusiast" policy at all.

Reply to
Adrian

Well, I must say that I am very surprised to hear that you were so let down. I will take it up with them next renewal (soon)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

can you two get together on one ploicy and claim to be enthusiasts?

Or: do the cars have to be on the road? Buy two or three bangers and SORN them in a barn somewhere....

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Heh. You think I need help to get meet the five car requirement? I *earned* this email address, y'know...

Reply to
Adrian

Well can you lend him a couple then?

I used to have too many cars too. Gave away 500+bhp worth in one weekend. Sniff.

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I could, but I really don't think he'd want them...

Ah. I might have nine vehicles, but they don't quite get to 400bhp - between 'em.

Take the everyday car off, and the other eight don't even get to half your weekend's loss...

Reply to
Adrian

I love free cars, unfortunatly the neighbours don't. They already think I'm a knacker bringing the neighbour hood down with 2 cars, 2 large trailers, a van and constant spanner monkeying on the drive of my semi respectable cul-de-sac.

Reply to
MikeL

I appreciated the suggestion though. Actually, I tried to phone them up today to see if I could add two cars that technically aren't mine, but I have regular use of, to bump me up to the magical five.

Unfortunately during many attempts to ring them, I was transferred four times, cut off twice, put on hold indefinitely twice and finally ended up with two people who hadn't even heard of their own policies.

I'm guessing that they might only be really interested in dealing with the trade rather than Joe Pubic.

Reply to
MikeL