OT: Need insurance for my 17 year old

Sorry for a bit OT, but lots on here should have experience.

The wife and I are both ~50. We have Nissan 1.4 Almera, P reg and Nissan 1.6 Primera, L reg.

The Almera (group 6) is ~240, the Primera (group 9)~270 pounds. Both fully comp with Zurich, including Green Flag. Neither of us have claims, convictions, points.

My boy is about to turn 17 and getting a prov licence.

Zurich are asking for ~1000 to add to either car as a named driver. Seems totally outrageous to me. (Very little difference between Primera or Almera)

We can accept big restrictions, eg. he drives only accompanied by us, daylight only, 3rd party liability only, etc.

Also, he can only drive one car at a time, so why can't they accept him on both for same price ?

Is it possible for him to get his own insurance on (say) the Almera - at maybe a lower price ?

So basically, I'm looking for suggestions for lowest cost insurance for a 17 year old with a prov licence. I hear Tesco are cheap for young drivers.

[BTW: My first insurance, at 17 cost 50 quid for 3rd party fire theft on a Vauxhall Viva.]

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

I wonder if the Pay-as-you-go insurance works for a car which only occasionally gets driven by him and other times by you on another policy?

AFAIK they use a GPS tracker to calculate the charges, so there would have to be a (foolproof) way to tell it who was driving.. I guess not.

Try something like moneysupermarket.com to get a broad sweep and see who doesn't hate young drivers quite as much.

But they all do.

Young drivers *are* a much higher risk - and premiums often go *up* once they pass the test as they are then able to go out on their own. Or showing off with their mates...

Reply to
PC Paul

Ouch - they're steep premiums for the cars in question. We pay less on an Alfa 156 at 20 years younger, with my 6 points declared. (Only 3 'active', though).

Sounds about right to me.

Reply to
SteveH

It's quite cheap TBH.

I doubt you're going to do much better. Basically any driver in their teens is looking at a four figure insurance premium.

Reply to
Conor

A work colleague tried to get his son insured on his Series 1 Landrover - £1700 It was about the same for a beaten up old Fester too. As SteveH said, it goes up once they pass. I'd say 1K is good. I've got two kids who will be wanting to drive soon, one in 5 years the other two years later. I guess I'd better look at a second mortgage.

Reply to
Malc

You'll have to shop around, but that sounds a decent enough price TBH. We pay £740 for my daughter on a classic Mini that would cost me about £100 on my own (thast one's with Admiral). Most of the 17-yr-olds I teach pay about £1200 upwards on their Corsas/Fiestas etc.

Reply to
asahartz

I didn't - that was PC Paul.

Reply to
SteveH

I think that you are approaching this from the wrong angle. Instead you could ask the insurance company which cars would be cheapest to insure and buy him that. The downside is he probably won't like driving a FIAT Panda or what ever comes out cheapest.

One of the lads in work spent about =A33k buying a car (not sure what it=20 was, but it wasn't particularly "racy") - premium came in at around=20 the same price :-} (or was it =A34k for the insurance, can't remember !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Seems fair enough, he is considered a high risk until he passes his test.

He would need to be accompanied by someone if he only has a provisional. I certainly wouldn't put him as 3rd party only if you value your car.

Two different policies from what you say. That's why.

Why haven't you looked? He would be lucky to get insurance for less than £1000.

So why haven't you looked?

Oh dear, well I remember when a packet of crisps was 7p.

You really need to look around, surely you don't need people on here to tell you that.

Reply to
vince

So you only have 3 points then if only 3 are "active"...not 6. You do not need to declare points that are not "active" as you call it. If you have said, "oh yes, got 6 points" then you will probably be paying more than if you had said, "I have 3 points".

Reply to
vince

Wrong again, vince..... you're making a habit of this.

You have to declare all convictions within the last 5 years.

Reply to
SteveH

vince ( snipped-for-privacy@vince.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you have to try hard to be this wrong, this often?

Points are "live" for three years. When the insurance ask you about any convictions in the last FIVE years, do you lie to them?

Please say yes. I'd love for you to say yes.

Reply to
Adrian

Oops sorry Paul. I blame it on the post operation feeling of nausea and wooziness.

Reply to
Malc

First thing is to put him in for a sex change ;) We had a 106 diesel, group 5 I think, and insured it with Co-Op. Cost about £500 all in for my wife and 18 YO daughter on a provisional. Wife had full NCB. My other daughter at 19 got an old Golf (mark 1) and got insurance through A Quote for about £600 This was for just her, with no NCB. (Classic insurance) Younger daughter is now 21 and has a Clio. Still in wife's name at the mo, but she is named driver as she can get her own NCB this way with Direct Line. Cost just under £300. All this is for TPF&T. We live just inside the M25. The other thing, how many miles per year do you travel? We were able truthfully to put down 6k, which also made a difference.

Reply to
Brian

21 is a lot different from 17! And the other daughters are obviously now older, so you're going back a bit for these prices.

Try getting prices for a 17yo now. (and, TBH, there's not much difference in cost between TPFT & Comp, and you really see the difference if you have to claim!)

Reply to
asahartz

No problem. When it's me I just blame another brain cell dying...

Reply to
PC Paul

Points for say speeding* are 'live' for the toting up period for 3 years, they are on your licence for 4 years after that you can get them removed, Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act you don't have to admit you have them after 4 years... yet the insurance companies ask about them up for to five years, So technically after 4 years, legally you don't have to mention them, but the insurance company still ask for the information.

Des

  • Drink related offences are 10 years IIRC
Reply to
Dieseldes

I think you'll find that insurance companies can ask for whatever information they want to ask for, the rehabilitation of offenders act doesn't apply in this case.

I'd love to see someone challenge it, though....

Reply to
SteveH

Dieseldes ( snipped-for-privacy@orange.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Aw, bless.