Insurance for youngsters

My lad is 18. He is taking his theory next week. If all goes well he will do the practical shortly.

He's quite sensible and drives fine on L plates.

A quick look at the insurance quotes for him are horrendous. Typical price seems to be around £1500.

Is there any way to bring the quotes down? I don't mind and indeed would prefer monitoring 'boxes'.

The car is a recent 107 which belongs to his mother who says he can use it once he gets his license. She in turn got insurance for £149 from a company who let her have full NCD as she has been a named driver on my policy for years.

Any help/advice? TIA

Reply to
Barry

A small point, - he may save himself some money if he puts Mum on his insurance as a named driver, that usually reduces premiums.

I have an ex girl friend on mine, and when I asked to remove her my premium would have been increased by about 20%.

Reply to
Gordon H

Thanks for that. Just tried adding me as a named river and it did knock it down but only by a tenner.

Reply to
Barry

£1500 will be typical. With a lot of searching you might get £1000. Obviously, moderate mileage and a huge excess (but not TP F&T). See if it would be worth having an older car; see if your existing insurance will allow him to be named as the main driver.
Reply to
Nick Finnigan

On 10/10/2013 16:41, Barry wrote:> My lad is 18. He is taking his theory next week. > If all goes well he will do the practical shortly. > > He's quite sensible and drives fine on L plates. > > A quick look at the insurance quotes for him are horrendous. > Typical price seems to be around £1500. > > Is there any way to bring the quotes down? I don't mind and > indeed would prefer monitoring 'boxes'. > > The car is a recent 107 which belongs to his mother who says he can > use it once he gets his license. She in turn got insurance for > £149 from a company who let her have full NCD as she has been > a named driver on my policy for years. > > Any help/advice? TIA >

I would have said that is reasonable.

A colleague of mines 18/19year old son has 1 yr no blames a 1L V reg Corsa, and pays over £2k with minimal mileage and one of them black boxes fitted. His car is garaged and he works full time!

Going back 13 years, my first cover was £1250 then £1700 (un decided claim), then £1100, then £900. That was on a Corsa Diesel.

Reply to
Tom Burton

Geez. Going back 18 years my first insurance was £350 on a 1.0 Nova, admittedly at 21 though. And a year or two before that, getting added as a named driver on my mum's Escort was £50 for the half a year left on her policy!

Reply to
Scott M

Hell, going back around 50 years, my first insurance was about 15 (TPF&T) on an old up-and-begging Ford Popular (and I could have got it even cheaper with Act only insurance) - mind you, a provisional driving licence cost a 10 shillings (50p) for a year, a full licence 1 or 3 years, road tax abot 9 a year, driving lessons a 1 a pop, the test also a 1 and petrol around 4 shillings (20p) a gallon! No drink-driving laws, no speed or NPR cameras, very few traffic jams, no motorways, no Mots, you could actually repair your car or change a bloody light bulb without taking it to a garage and paying a bloody fortune --- ah, Those were the days!

These days, I've got to take my car to a garage to a have side-light and headlight bulbs changed and pay an extortionate amount for it.

Reply to
Ormolu

I remember petrol around that price or cheaper, some 58 years ago, and listening to the engine with my ear on wooden handled screwdriver and the blade on the cylinder head. I got a hell of a shock when the blade touched the plug lead, having forgotten that the screwdriver shaft passed right through the handle...

All I can do now is check fluid levels, - and change a wheel if necessary. :-(

Reply to
Gordon H

One of my customers changed a wheel on his Fiesta recently, he is 92! and the wheel nuts were tight enough afterwards.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Pass plus and an advanced course. approx 30% off.

Reply to
Tim..

The statistics indicate that young inexperienced drivers are less than

5% of the driving population but are involved in 20% of accidents resulting in death or serious injury. When a serious injury claim can run into £millions it's no wonder why the premiums are so high.
Reply to
alan

I could do that by holding up a Fiesta at the corner. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Ooops

I forgot to add that the prices I quoted above were including a pss-plus discount. I remember being somewhat skeptical about the discount though...

I also remember using a local broker as they were cheaper than the onliners... But online insurance was pretty much in its infancy.

Reply to
Tom Burton