OT: Petrol lawn mower engine query

On my mower when cold one or two full pulls of the cord is required to start it but once hot it will start easily with a partial pull of the cord.

Perhaps when stopping the mower when hot excess fuel (or oil) is entering the cylinder and trying to compress this may be almost impossible with a pull cord. Maybe the way to check this is to remove the spark plug when the mower is hot to see if it turns over easily.

If the problem is expansion of the pistons etc. I would expect the engine turn-over on the starter or pull cord still to be tight.

Reply to
alan_m
[snip]

All testing was done with the jury-rigged car battery.

Surprisingly the original NiCad isn't dead. I'm told it never worked, but part of my investigation revealed a corroded crimp joint inside a moulded connector. The magneto has an alternator coil attached, see:

... and the corroded joint was several hundred ohms but allowed the NiCad to charge while the motor was running. So I was very surprised that the NiCad registered over 12v even though the mower had not been used for several years.

Having charged it fully it does now very nearly crank the engine when cold - probably this is very nearly as good as when it was new!

Reply to
Graham J

Presumably then it was relatively easily started with the pull starter when both cold and hot in the past?

So what's changed that makes it so hard to turn over now when hot? Presumably clearances haven't got tighter within the engine over the years? Just the opposite I would have thought.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Good question. In the past pull-start when cold was OK. But when hot, I don't know - I may be able to find out. The mower belonged to my neighbour - now dead, and was used by the old chap who cut the grass for her.

More recently a younger chap brought his own mower because he could not make the neighbour's mower work.

Reply to
Graham J

Excellent point

Reply to
newshound

Take the spark plug out when its hot. Can you turn it easily then? Yes? - compression - are the valve clearances ok when hot i.e. are the valves actually opening? Is there excess fuel or oil in the cylinder? No? its trying to seize up! :-)

Reply to
Kellerman
[snip]

Plug out - cranks easily.

The valves are opening. No excess fuel or oil. Once started, engine runs smoothly with no exhaust smoke. I've used it to cut the grass - it runs fine for half an hour at a time, no problem, no funny noises.

So it must be increased compression when hot. I did have a compression tester, but I can't now find it ...

Reply to
Graham J

That straw sticking out of his nose is a bit of a giveaway.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom