check engine light

2001 mpv The 'check engine light' came on a while back. Checked a few things and saw that the gas cap was not screwed on tight. Screwed it on, have gotten gas since, but the light is still on. What else can I check? How do I turn that light off? Thanks.
Reply to
JSNews

Would suggest:

  1. when you get gas, make sure it is a complete fill-up
  2. ensure the cap is screwed on and you hear a couple clicks
  3. if above does not work, you will probably have to take in to let them reset the computer
Reply to
FearTurtle 2

On my '99 Protege disconnecting the battery for a few minutes resets the computer. If you have a laptop you can get an OBDII interface for about $90, it lets you read or clear the code without taking the car to a dealership.

Imre

Reply to
im

How much milage? I have a 92 MPV and the check engine light goes off every 130000 km. Dealer has to reset it. It's gone off twice now. Phone and ask your dealer.

Reply to
*IP Nightly*

Found this on the net @

92 Mazda MPV, Check Engine Light Q: I have a ?92 Mazda MPV mini van that just reached 80,000 miles and the check engine light came on. The manual says it needs to have the emissions checked every 80,000 miles. I'd like to know how to reset the light so I can save some money. I read one book and it said to take the negative battery cable off and depress the brake pedal for 5 seconds and hook it back up. Is this correct or is their something else to do?

A: You can disconnect the battery and hold your foot on the brake all day long, it's not going to turn the light off. Your Mazda makes use of a mileage sensor that will illuminate the check engine light at

80,000 miles. Why does Mazda turn this light on at 80,000 miles? It's time to change the oxygen sensor.

The folks at Mazda figure that after 80,000 miles of operation the oxygen sensor has reached the end of its useful life. The oxygen sensor provides information to the vehicle?s onboard computer that is critical in maintaining good gas mileage and low exhaust emissions.

If you're mechanically inclined replacing the oxygen sensor should not be too difficult. But, turning off the check engine light may prove to be more challenging. The instrument cluster must be accessed or removed from the dash of the vehicle to gain access to a set screw that will reset the check engine light.

Reply to
*IP Nightly*

This cannot be true. There is no way that a computer controlled automobile would resort to 1950s methods to accomplish this simple task. I don't know the answer, but this smells like bad advice.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Yes you donot have to take the instrument cluster out to reset the ecu. Just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 15 minutes, during that 15 minutes press the brake pedal down a couple time. Then reconnect the terminal to the battery. Start engine if the check engine light is still showing, you need to have the error codes pulled to see what sensor or electronic device has failed,etc... If you tell me what year and vehicle you have, I can tell you how to pull the codes yourself.

Reply to
Bryan

how about for a 92 929?

Reply to