OT (slightly) - Has anyone had any experiance of purchasing a car from Germany ?

Hi

I am looking to purchase a LHD car that I can use abroad.

Germany seems to be a good place to buy.

What paperwork do the germans use as registration certificates. ?

And how easy is it to get the deregistration certificate out of germany authorities ?

Do you need any form of german national ID to purchase car in germany (like you do in spain) ?

thanks

Robin..

Reply to
Robin

There are two - the "Fahrzeugschein" which is the bit that you need to carry with you all the time and the "Fahrzeugbrief" which is the equivalent to the UK V5 and proof of ownership. If the car has been bought on finance chances are that the finance company or bank has the "Fahrzeugbrief". As you can't re-register the car without one, make sure the seller gets it for you and give it to you in exchange for the money.

Take both the Fahrzeugschein and Fahrzeugbrief to the local "Zulassungsstelle" (VRO). Take the plates off the car and wander in. They should either allow you to apply for export plates (Exportkennzeichen) which would allow you to register the car on a German plate in your name so you can drive it out of the country, or you tell them you want to deregister ("abmelden") the car. In the latter case they'll retain the Fahrzeugschein and stamp the Fahrzeugbrief to show that the car has been deregistered. In the latter case you'll have to get the car transported, obviously.

Keep in mind that you have to pay for all this stuff - can't remember how much it was (haven't been living in Germany for a while now) but I wouldn't expect much change out of EUR100 if you want export plates, probably even more.

You have to have some kind of proof of ID (passport is fine, doesn't have to be a German one) and proof of address (photocard driving license should do the job).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

thanks tim, thats great info.

cheers

Robin...

Reply to
Robin

I purchased in Germany, admittedly a long time ago. simply drove the car out, declared it at UK customs ( I think!) drove it around for a bit then went to my local licensing office to register it. - I had insurance for it, even on the German plates - I'm sure it was'nt the proper procedure, but no one seemed concerned.

Reply to
MrGrumpy

i have registered a couple of foreign cars (jap import & yank) and i had to have the degregistraion certificate before i could register is here.

my german is limited, so dont want to end up with a car i cant register & insure.

Reply to
Robin