Re: Mondeo TD cambelt failure

In message , Tim.. writes

I managed to get to the garage today for the first time since the incident. The head is off (crowns are fine) and the head is supposedly away to have all the valves replaced and the shims done. The garage owner says that the guides were fine as well as the camshaft and bearing caps. Time will tell. He says he will fit a Ford belt kit this time (as I originally requested) rather than the Gates kit he fitted.

I asked how the belt failed as I was sceptical about the new belt snapping. He said that the belt had ridden up onto the lip of the metal tensioner pulley which had in turn shredded the belt. Obviously the tensioner wasn't set properly for this to happen or perhaps the belt had been routed over the lip on assembly rather than squarely round the pulley.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Nothing wrong with a Gates kit, a lot of major manufacturers fit Gates as OEM. Mechanic Muppetry will be the problem.

Did a Mondeo TD a couple of days ago, that started making noises part of the way back from London to Yorkshire. Made it back making knocking noises sounded like a nasty diesel knock, took covers off and rear plastic covered tensioner had shed it's plastic. Belt was running slack and had slipped a tooth or two on cam, new belt and tensioner kit and it was perfect :O)

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

Fair doo's, give the garage owner a chance!

I'm sure he will give the chap back a good working car with lots of life left, he could have just refused any liability and told the guy the belt snapping was the result of something else etc......

I think admitting it was his problem and offering to fix the damage was an honest step, have a little more faith.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy