OT ?? Suggestions wanted for straightening out a trailer frame

The wooden floor was rotten, so I took off all the sides to replace it. I now have the metal skeleton of the trailer, a square with an A frame at the front with the tow hitch, and four angle iron uprights, one at each corner of the square. I've noticed that the back offside upright leans outwards, it's 1 inch wider at the top than the bottom. I've tried banging it, levering it and various other things, but I can't bend the upright so it is vertical. Can anyone suggest any clever way of getting enough leverage to bend it back into alignment? Thanks in advance, Pete

Reply to
goodolpete

Without knowing what relevant equipment you have, may I suggest the following options:

Heating with oxyacetylene Bending by use of a long tube which fits over the upright Putting block and tackle from top of upright to bottom of opposite upright. You may need someone else to come and hit the top of the upright with a sledge hammer while you pull on the rope. Cutting the upright off (wholly or partly) and rewelding it straight. Turning the trailer so that it lies on its side with the offending upright on the ground. Connect a rope to the opposite side and pull with a car so that all the weight is on the upright. Depending on how big and heavy the trailer is you may need some other bodies to come and jump on it.

HTH

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Use a large ratchet strap.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

But not anchored to the another up-right though, anchor it to the main chassis frame, otherwise the OP might just end up with two bent up-rights!

Reply to
Jerry

Good point, although it hadn't occured to me somebody might do that

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Or if you can find a railing/crash barrier or whatever at the right height, you could reverse into it and push gently.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

The upright goes outwards, not backwards.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Yeh - mine (home made, big thick and heavy angle iron) does that, and I have lived with it for 15 years.

Mine's come about due to having welded all the steel angles up to form the framework. and due to the thermal stress's setup the bottom cross member warped, causing only one of the vertical uprights to lean outwards. I tired everything to bend it back, but as I said I made it out of big thick and heavy angle iron. The only way out would have been to grind the welds out and reweld. But i just cannot be bothered.

Reply to
dutchman

you only need to cut one of the welds, bend the other and reweld

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Problem is, we don't know if the OP has welding facilities.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Sorry, I should have snipped, my reply was aimed more at 'dutchman'

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes you should, twice! :~P

Reply to
Jerry

I forgive you.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Thanks for all your replies. I have found someone with welding facilities and he will do the job tomorrow. Cherrs, Pete

Reply to
goodolpete