Overcooling

Hi,

2001 1.6 Astra - had a lift in it and noticed that the temp gauge was hovering on cold (70 degrees if markings are to be believed) despite having just driven 40 miles on the motorway. We went into a town and it rose a bit but fell again when we got back up to speed.

My guess is that the thermostat is stuck open. How bad is it to continue driving long distances with the car like that? Does the ECU alter the fuel mixture to try and get warm?

Also, our Ka doesn't have a temp gauge, just a temp warning light. How the hell are you supposed to know if you've got that problem?? :)

Thanks,

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Spikings

The heater will be poor. Of course in the summer it might go unnoticed for a couple of days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

on 21/08/2007, Peter Spikings supposed :

It will run the engine a little rich for longer than necessary and the heater will not work very well. It used to be common for new cars to be supplied with no thermostat (I think), then they would be fitted at the first service.

From cold, let the engine tickover whilst feeling the radiator top hose. If the thermostat is working correctly the top hose should stay cold, then suddenly become warm as the stat opens and permits the water to flow.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Maybe - but 70 degrees isn't cold, per se, just, cool - if you see what I mean.

Yes - but not at 70 degrees. At 40 degrees, it might.

A tardy heater response. The new Astra I had on Tuesday didn't have a coolant gauge either.

Reply to
DervMan

There's a fair chance you're slowly killing your catalytic converter. Because of the inevitable times with a hot cat / rich mixture combination, it'll be working harder than it should be.

Engine wear and fuel consumption will be suffering. The engine oil will have unusually high water and acid contamination - just like a car which does only very short trips.

The dealer is supposed to pick it up when it has its regular service ???

John

Reply to
John Henderson