Oxidised HT Leads

Hi All

Just Changed the HT leads on My Mondeo as the old ones had done about 30K and I noticed a couple of the leads had oxidised terminals at the coil end This was also present on the corresponding terminals on the coil itself.

The car runs fine and seems smoother through acceleration but I was just curious why 2 of the terminals had furred up and 2 are still clean as a whistle.

Any ideas?

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

because you actually have two double ended coils in there, therefore one end is a positive spark, one a negative. It works in the same way that one post of a battery oxidises and grows more crud than the other (usually the negative)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Positive you mean!

I've yet to see a cruddy -ve lead yet!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Have a look at my Bedford CF then ! I couldn't remember any other vehicles with a cruddy lead, as it is less common these days, but my CF negative terminal is definitely growing things, while the positive is clean, perhaps the material the clamp is made of effects the corrosion?

Either way, the variation in the ht leads of the OP is probably the result of positive or negative spark.

best wishes mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Interesting stuff. Is there likely to be any point in attempting to remove the oxidisation that remains on the coil terminals? As originally mentioned the car is smoother with the new leads as things stand and i dont want to damage the coil attempting to remove the deposits if there is little to no point!

Thanks again.

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

personally, I would scrape it off and spray with some rust barrier stuff or duck oil, but it probably makes very little difference to the spark.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful