Mondeo HT Leads & plugs

I wanted to replace the HT Leads and plugs on my Mondeo (1998 1.8 petrol) and called up Ford - they said it was £60 for both. This seems a little steep for Motorocraft parts.

Anyone know if they can be got cheaper or should I just go for the Ford parts?

Thanks

Reply to
Scooby Doo

You are lucky you don't have a s6 Carlton, over 100quid from Vx. However I would give Nebo Ltd a ring on 01243 536313 who will make up a set up for a lot less. They even do the long ceramic sections if your leads have these to reach the plugs. Very good quality as well!

Reply to
Will Reeve

Sounds about right. I changed the plugs and leads on my old Mondeo in the summer and IIRC the leads were about £28, plugs were about £5 each plus the dreaded VAT. It was still cheaper than Halfords and the local motor factor though.

hth

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

I bought plugleads for my Mondeo a few months ago from a Ford dealer in Glasgow and I am sure ( receipt is in the car) that it was something like £26 that I paid....plugs I bought more recently ...Bosch they were ..maybe £3+ each ??? ...say £40 in total.. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

In message , Scooby Doo writes

I paid £51 inc for Motorcraft plugs and leads for my Focus (1.6 zetec engine) last month so your quote isn't too far off the mark. I don't think its too bad when you consider the plugs last for 40k miles and the leads 60k miles if you are lucky.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I paid £11.80 for four Motorcraft "platinum" plugs, recently, but the list price at our local dealer is £5.83 each +vat (ouch!) The leads were fine and didn't need changing ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I bought a full set from Ford a couple of months ago for £42, the cheapo set I bought before that were causing a slight misfire at idle within 2000 miles.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

What does HT stand for?

TIA!

Reply to
Krycek

Hight tension.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

The message from "Krycek" contains these words:

Hurts Terribly.

Reply to
Guy King

High Tension.

Meaning high voltage. On Mk2 Mondeos meaning very very high cooks your leads in 50k voltage.

Don't know the origin of the term though.

Pete,

Reply to
Pete Smith

In message , Guy King writes

Does it ever!

I once pulled a lead off my motorbike while on the move. I was groping for the choke lever but got it wrong and pulled the lead off. My hand tightened around the lead and I wasn't able to let go until the bike stopped. Luckily it was a single cylinder so it stopped fairly quickly.

Yes, its safe to say that it Hurt Terribly.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Or the bloody engine stop tag on old Suffolk punch lawnmowers

Reply to
DuncanWood

It's the old vernacular for voltage, bit like calling the capacitor on the points a condensor.

Reply to
DuncanWood

The message from Paul Giverin contains these words:

You're me, you are. Wet night, DT125, soggy gloves. Ugh.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from DuncanWood contains these words:

Oooh, I remember doing that as well! I took it apart when I was seven - Dad wasn't 'arf upset.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Guy King writes

Yebbut its the sort of thing you only do once innit?

:)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

That depends how much you enjoyed it the first time!!!!!!!!

Reply to
SimonJ

Like sticking your hand up under the washing machine when switched off and grabbing a big round thing which turns out to be a capacitor...lol Stuart

Reply to
Stuart