Paint removal

I'm planning on repainting the bonnet on my escort, i bought it for next to nothing as a replacement for mine whihc was wrecked due to a minor shunt. I'm wanting to know the best method for removing the paint thats already on it as it's apinted in several slightly different colours and whoever as painted it before has only removed half the paint leaving the surface uneven.

I'd though about using the angle grinder with one of those silicon carbide paint removing wheels (they look like sponge but are a lot harder) but from previous experience they don't last very long and i reckon i would need at least 4 to do the whole bonnet.

What about the knotted wire wheels for grinders, i know they'd take the paint off easily but would they also damge the bonnet itself.? Failing that, what about a rubber backing pad with hook and look discs?

I've had a look around online and the last method seems a fairly popular way to go but if anyone has any other suggestions i'm open to offers.

I had also thought about using chemicals although i suspect this would be messy and difficult to clean up prior to repainting.

Thanks

Reply to
kris

The best way is to get it gritblasted. However you'd have to take the bonnet to a suitable place.

You could use grinders, sanders, etc, but it's very messy and there's loads of toxic dust.

Personally I'd go for Nitromors, then a sanding pad to prep the surface to a smooth finish - I tend to use medium grit on a dual-action mini-sander. I'd avoid rotary though.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

seconded. Taking the bonnet to someone who'll sand blast it wins otherwise take it off the car & nitromors it.

Reply to
Duncanwood

Duncanwood ( snipped-for-privacy@dmx512.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Taking the bonnet to someone who'll blast it *properly*... It's VERY easy to f*ck up thin steel while blasting it - especially on a panel with large flattish surfaces with subtle curvatures like a bonnet...

I'd stick with the stripping/sanding, tbh.

Reply to
Adrian