Passat Tdi problems

Just been to see a very nice new shape 1997 VW Passat Automatic Tdi Sports. The owner is an old chap who has only driven it 12k miles in the last 4 years. Its spent a lot of time sitting still in his garage.

Anyway, took it for a spin and the car was very sluggish, put my foot down (its an auto) and the car struggled to pick up speed reaching only 70 MPH with me flooring it. I don't know much about diesels but this can't be right. When we were on the motorway I thought the revs were a little high so I slipped between 3 and D(rive) and there was no difference in revs which leads me to think that it is not reaching 4th gear.

I am confused because the car has no guts which would lead me to think the turbo has gone and the car doesn't seem to hit 4th gear which may be an additional gearbox issue or related to the turbo not kicking in and giving enough torque.

Any clues??

Reply to
Carlos

Turbo pipe or mass airflow sensor

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Turbos are pretty reliable, MAF sensors aren't & that sounds far more like a Maf sensor.

Reply to
DuncanWood