pay as you go insurance???

full story here

UK: Norwich Union launches innovative "Pay As You Drive"T insurance with = prices from 1p per mile

a.. Two new policies launching to help motorists reduce their premiums b.. Research shows that 67 per cent of motorists ready for innovation

Reply to
bongo rule

What's this got to do with maintenance?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

well it has not but it is to do with cars, i just thought some people may be interested in it as it may be the way = car insurance will be in the future.

Reply to
bongo rule

bongo rule ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

OK... and...?

Just as it was when they first announced it nearly two years ago...?

Or when they were testing it over two years ago...?

Adrian

prices from 1p per mile

HOW MUCH? Bloody hell. It'd more than half my insurance bill. If it=20 wasn't for the fact I need a FC classic policy with agreed value, I'd=20 go for that.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

prices from 1p per mile

Prices *from* 1p per mile.

Reply to
adder1969

ith prices from 1p per mile

I had a look. Posted in another group that I could be paying =A322 per=20 day to travel to work and 48p to travel home.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

So why did you post it here as well as uk.rec.cars.misc? I suspect most of the regulars read both groups anyway, so won't need to see it somewhere else - where it's off-topic.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The only ones who benefit out of monthly payments are the insurance companies. If you can't afford your insurance in one hit get a cheaper car to insure, because you won't be able to afford to run it anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Another one who doesn't read adverts. *From* 1p a mile means it will only be that for a pensioner with a sidevalve Morris Minor living in Shetland and covering over 1,000,000 miles a year. Everyone else will pay much more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Conor contains these words:

Ah, that's /from/ a penny a mile. If you're a teenager it's £1/mile between 11pm and 6am, for example. Still, I reckon it's worth looking into for the wife's insurance next time.

Reply to
Guy King

Nope. They'd pay 4p a mile. That's the lowest rate for single carriageway roads. More if they drive at night. And they wouldn't be covered anyway, being over 65. I checked, thinking it would suit my mother who does a low mileage on very rural roads. But it doesn't.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

if you are going to spend your life winging at people, then winge away, but dont blame me if even more people killfile you, like a lot of the = others did.

in a sense isnt car insurance to do with cars in the same sense a basic = question about mots on a car? you dont moan about that sort of question. isnt the word "maintenance" standard for upkeep;--financial-- car insurance is financialy to do with a car on the road the same as a = mot.

a mot failed car in not allowed on the road, the same as insurance, if = the vehicle is not safe then the insurance is void. i see that insurance on a car is a sense of maintenance.

is not the change in the way future cars have car insurance? is it not = to do with cars? is this not "uk.rec.cars.misc" dont the "misc" part = mean "miscellaneous"? or "miscellaneously"?

Reply to
bongo rule

Wait a minute though, it doesn't actually tell you _how_ they can tell at what time of day you've been driving? Is it a GPS box connected to their computers?, in which case they could increase your premium whenever you break the speed limit or break other traffic rules, or even just happen to regularly drive past accident blackspots.

If the government has its way we'll all have one of these boxes in our cars for road tax purposes at least, and there'll be no point in having a car that can do over 70 mph. We'll also automatically become suspects if we're recorded being anywhere near a crime scene or terrorist attack.

Something to look forward to?

Zimmy

Zimmy ( snipped-for-privacy@y.z) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, it does.

That is, I presume, what they press release (which you quoted the URL of...) means when it say "In-car GPS devices"

If you bother to read the PDF linked from that press release, you'll find this :- "A GPS device the size of a DVD case is fitted discreetly in the car by RAC Auto Windscreens, Norwich Union?s sister company. The device stores information about each car journey before transmitting it automatically to Norwich Union via a secure GSM network."

None of the info mentions how much the base "Fire & Theft" monthly standing charge is likely to be, and the (illegibly blurred) sample bill is neatly arranged to cover that price, too...

Reply to
Adrian

I still can't get it to give me a price at all, with different cars and different scenarios.

Reply to
adder1969

( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Would you actually want one?

Reply to
Adrian

They did? News to me, kiddo.

You seem to have broken your shift key.

You still haven't explained why you posted the same message to two different groups that are read largely by the same people. Most fuckwits just cross-post to the two, but you've gone one better.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

"include". Not "be solely about".

Or speed cameras.

Hang on a minute, this might be not quite spot on a definition of maintenance, but it is at least car related. I can recall several other discussions here along similar lines - what about all those about speed cameras? And those recent long ones about Richard Hammond? And no, I don't read uk.rec.cars.misc.

If the guy was spamming, trolling or way off-topic you could criticise in this way. He's not. AFAICS this is just as valid a topic as most of the others here.

I hate spammers and trolls as much as the next guy, but reasonable discussion is fine by me.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

In message , Chris Bolus writes

He made the same post to uk.rec.cars.misc where it is on topic. There was no need to post it here where, despite your assertion that it is car related, it is still off topic by any definition.

Yes there are a lot of other OT posts here but may I point out that I didn't criticise the OP's original post. I just felt I had to comment on his ridiculous efforts to try and justify the OT post when someone else had picked him up on it.

Reply to
Paul Giverin