Pegasus engine weight

Rather off topic I'm afraid, but does anyone know the approximate weight of the Pegasus engine in a Harrier aircraft?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

1361Kg apparently, model fitted to prototype P1127.

Why, fancy fitting one to a car, as that guy did with the RR Merlin through an autobox?

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

3,960lb... Why?

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

3960lbs.

But it depends which Harrier, and which version of the engine. That's the Mk.107, the latest, as fitted to the GR7A and GR9A.

Reply to
PC Paul

In message , Rob graham writes

I had some guy email me a couple of years ago, offering to flog me one. Its not exactly something you can fire up in your back garden. Awesome engine though. I have engine run quite a few aircraft types but the Harrier was the only one that made me slightly nervous. It spools up so quickly.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

You need to look up the NZ guy on the internet who coupled a gas powered ramjet engine to a lightweight 4 wheeled trolley.

Now that's scary...!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Because I have a grandson aged 11 and we have technical discussions from time to time. Today he asked if a Harrier engine mounted in a mini would push itself out of the front of the mini or take the mini with it. I pointed out that the mini was too small to have a Pegasus engine in it and, anyway, the engine would be far too heavy for it, although I did not know its exact weight.

Mind you I still don't know its exact weight given that I have two answers of about 1.3 tons and about 1.7 tons. No doubt it will depend on how much of the total power plant you consider to actually be the engine.

Thanks for all your replies.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Melts quite quickly too though :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

It's been quite a few years since I worked on them and things may have improved since then but at the time, the hot section of the engine required overhauling every 400 hours...... less if it had been doing a lot of vertical take off stuff.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

You sound like a fantastic grandad, I'll bet he is going to learn a lot from you.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Well, he's causing me a slight headache. Some time ago I told him that I had some hydrochloric acid that I'd used for removing cement stains from brickwork (a normal procedure). He wanted to see the bottle but I couldn't find it. I know he'd like a bottle for his birthday. Do I get him some? I asked his mother whether she thought I was being irresponsible if I got him some. What do you think? When I was at school you could get some conc HCl in the lab without a problem, but nowadays all the kids are so protected they lose the ability to damage themselves.

He's very interested in all this sort of thing. I once went into Boots with him to see if we could buy some arsenic. They said no. Meanies!

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

I know what you mean. Our grandson is 3 going on 12. I have the same opinion that its better for kids to have a bit of rough and tumble with out all the molly coddling that goes on today. How do kids learn about the nasty side of life if they don't find out for themselves, I will just help and guide him along the way so he does not get really hurt.

Cheers Dave

Reply to
gort

This guy would argue im sure:

Coyoteboy

In message , Coyoteboy writes

Lots of people run small gas turbines in their back garden but we are talking about something with 22,000 lbs of thrust. It isn't going to stay in anyone's back garden for long :)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Lets face it, it doesn't run in a Harrier for long either.

I was amazed at how little there is in a Harrier that *isn't* engine, once you undo the wings and lift them off. Basically four big bolts IIRC.

Reply to
PC Paul

But that's good for military stuff. Early WWII Jumo and BMW engines had a life of 10 hours. Some Russian engines have a 10 flight life but at the time they where designed that was a factor of safety of 10.

Peter Hill

Or alternatively, the back garden won't stay in the street for long.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Nah I say, I say boy..

That's one hell of a garden rotivator you have there boy...... :o)

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I have enough trouble with the neighbours just tuning the my idle let alone with a jet engine lol

Reply to
Coyoteboy

You live in the wrong place or the wrong time.

about 1/2 way down.

think this may have been Paul Hilton who used to put his ram jet onthe roof of his Landie and go for a burn up, up and down the Watfordby-pass.
In the 70's Derby Lonsdale C.H.E (now Derby Uni) made a 1/3 scale V1 pulse jet. They tried a fan but couldn't get it to start. So it was duly lashed to the roof rack of a car and driven round the car park. Still didn't light up, something to do with scaling and/or valves being too stiff they thought.

Then there is "supersonic combustion". A report states it was "unbelievably noisy" and could be heard across the whole site. This firm used to test sets of aero engines, 4 at a time on an open air test stand, with a 5th one to drive the cooling system, that could be heard across the whole town (now city). Having heard 5 of those engines at close range when the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (sadly minus Hurricane) shook me out of my cottage by flying over at roof top level, I just can't imagine what it must have sounded like to have been reported as "unbelievably noisy".

Peter Hill