Peugeot 106 xnd 1.5 Preg mileometer not working

Hi all, my speedo works fine ansd rotates round the dial ok but the mileometer isnt ticking over. Is this just the cable or am I looking at something more serious? Cheers

Reply to
SilverDales

they are both activated by the same thing, whether it is a cable or a sensor, so if only one doesn't work it must be a fault with the speedo, a second-hand speedo will fix it, or just ignore it .

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The year would help, but all the later ones (at least 96 on) are electrically driven, no cable. In any case, if the speedo is telling you how fast you are travelling, then it is all driven by the same signal. Your problem must lie within the speedo unit.

Reply to
Brian

Says its P reg so about 96... is it the last of the older shape or the first of the newer shape?

seen P's here in both shapes..

Loops

loopy livernose

I'm not sure whether its S1 or S2. What are the differences?

Reply to
SilverDales

Just did a bit of searching and I see the high brake light was one of the changes which mine ha. So does that make it an S2?. Whjat difference does that make to the speedo?

Reply to
SilverDales

SilverDales (SilverDales ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

They look different.

Early 106

Later 106
I have no idea whether the assertion that the pre-facelift car is cable speedo and later is electric is correct, but it sounds about the right era.

IIRC the first year or two of later-shape 106s were badged as "New 106"

Reply to
Adrian

Both series 1 and 2 in 96 had electric speedos. We had an N reg which did.

Reply to
Brian

Ok so its series 2 and has electric speedo. I take it that means the feed to the milometer/speedo cos its a dial type with the3 old tumbler mileometer. So is the problem likely to be the cable as the speedo dial still works or inside the speedo. In that scenario I suppose I would then need a new speedo. What do I do about the mileage?

Reply to
SilverDales

SilverDales (SilverDales ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

IT DOESN'T HAVE A CABLE. There's a speed sensor on the gearbox which sends a pulse down a bit of wire to the speedo which then drives a motor to turn the needle. The mileometer is similarly electrically drive. On a cable speedo, the gearbox physically turns a cable which physically turns the needle and mileometer.

Certainly sounds like it.

What do you want to do about the mileage?

Reply to
Adrian

I dont know, I thought it was law that mileage had to be recorded or something on the MOT.

Reply to
SilverDales

No, the speedo and mileometer do not have to work for the mot. Which is why I said just ignore it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful