Vw digital mileometer reset

Hi, My Corrado g60 speedo has a fault and I have the chance of a secondhand replacement. The replacement has a digital mileometer, like the original, but the replacement has done over 100K and my car has only done

77K. My question is..Can the replacement be reset to show 77K? I don't want to deceive anyone, as I have no intention of selling the car for a good few years, but I don't really want to add 20K to my car. I'm fitting it myself so I won't have a receipt in the service records to show the speedo has been changed. I would be happier if it was possible to have it reset to the original 77K or will I just have to live with the car showing 20K more than it has actually done? Many thanks in advance. Mr Lovebucket
Reply to
Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic

It might be easier to have yours repaired, or buy a new one and have the correct mileage inserted. JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

VW's price for a new circuit board and rear housing (no clocks or front) from ETKA is about £655

Reply to
Homer

Just curious, what year G60 had a digital odo? I thought all the G60s were the old rotating drum type.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

NO!

replacement. The replacement has a digital mileometer, like

for a good few years, but I don't really want to add 20K

show the speedo has been changed.

77K or will I just have to live with the car showing 20K
Reply to
Woodchuck

replacement. The replacement has a digital mileometer, like

for a good few years, but I don't really want to add 20K

show the speedo has been changed.

77K or will I just have to live with the car showing 20K

Here in Calif, when a new or used speedometer is installed to replace a damaged or non working speedometer, a sticker is installed on the driver's door jamb that shows the correct reading of the unit when installed and the odo reading of the speedometer that is removed. Call your state's DMV to see how they handle this where you live. Speedometers can't be reset to specifically answer your question.

Reply to
Larry

Thanks for the responses so far.

The car is a 1991 g60 with digital mileometer/tripmeter, (to answer Nates question). I am based in UK. There is no clear legislation to guarantee mileage. (The only thing a dealer has to do is put a mileage disclaimer notice on the speedo).(This answer is for Larry).

As I have mentioned, I have no intention to sell the car for a good while but I would like to keep the mileage genuine. I have had a smile on my face ever since I have bought the car and the only thing I would replace the g60 with, is a Corrado VR6. Although at the moment I am more than happy with the g60. It's had no modifications at all, and I have had the charger rebuilt and a few other jobs done too and she purrs like a kitten.

The only problem is with the speedo. I have spotted this for sale on eBay and it looks like it could do the job. Do any of you good people have any experience with this particular piece of equipment. I'm not worried about the price, as I would just sell it on after reprogramming the mileometer.

advice would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Mr Lovebucket

Reply to
Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic

If it's just the speedo that's not working you could try replacing that part only with the second hand one, looking at ETKA the speedo and mileometer are seperate parts. Alternatively you could try removing the part that stores the mileage from your console and try fitting it to the new one. Don't know what this would be as I haven't seen the insides of one but it's probably just a chip or the mileometer itself.

Reply to
Homer

I thought about that, and when I get the replacement I will have a look and see if it is possible. But, like yourself, until I actually look inside I will not know if it is possible. Did you look at the link in my previous post? If you did have a look, what are your views on the resetting tool?

Mr Lovebucket.

Reply to
Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic

message

and see if it is possible. But, like yourself, until I

Maybe its just my logic, but if you dont need the resetting tool after you get the hardware, why even look into going that route until you know you have no other options?

Reply to
Biz

It might work, there is a socket in the bottom left corner of the console. I'd check with the supplier that it works with the G60 first before buying it though. My Personal view on resetting tools is that they should not be publicly available. I can email you an exploded view of the console from ETKA if it's any help?

Reply to
Homer

I'm just planning ahead and looking at things from different angles.... I want the best of all worlds, where I get a replacement speedo/mileometer with the same mileage that the car has actually done. I just don't want to use main VW dealers due to extortionate costs. The resetting tool is just one of the possible solutions. Although a relatively expensive way to go I think of it is possible to recoup most of the costs by reselling it after I have finished using it. (This all rather depends on the price it reaches in the next few hours....I am watching it with interest).

Regards Mr Lovebucket

Reply to
Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic

Hi Homer, It certainly is,( if you don't mind)it will be greatly appreciated. How do I pass you my email address. I don't want to appear ignorant but I haven't posted much to groups before, and I don't want to post my email address for obvious reasons. If I reply to sender will you receive my email as I'm not sure if 'feckinstupid' is just your name you made up for posting. Regards Mr Lovebucket

Reply to
Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic

Reply to sender will work, my email is valid.

Reply to
Homer

Thanks Homer contact has been made..Cheers!!! On a final note.... I have been searching the local and national car buying/selling mags, (Autotrader etc..), and there are certain dealers or auto electricians in the UK who carry out this service for a price of between £20 and £50, depending on where you go. Thanks go to Nick in another newsgroup for this info. Thanks to everyone for all advice given. On a definitely final note.... The price of the mileometer reset tool ended at over £800. About £300 too high for me!!! All I can say on that matter is, I hope it was bought by someone honest!

Kind Regards to you all.

Reply to
Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic

And it would be horrible expen$ive if you bought it thinking you could change higher mileage to lower mileage and it couldn't do that! :-( later, dave

message

(Autotrader etc..), and there are certain dealers or auto

£20 and £50, depending on where you go. Thanks go to Nick

high for me!!! All I can say on that matter is, I hope it

dave

Hi Dave That thought was certainly at the forefront of my mind. (Along with 'The Missus' shouting out "HOW MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!). Regards, Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic Water

Reply to
Mr Lovebuckets Exploding Tonic

LOL She probably would have told you to buy a new speedo!!! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

What about ETKA, shouldn't that be a dealer only item?

:)

Reply to
Peter Parker