Peugeot 205 1.1 1992 no Power and oil in coolant

Hello Calling all mechanics,

I had just got home and parked up, all was fine. I went bacck ou about 15 mins later and my car started but died immediately (no power) i tried to start her again but couldnt. I checked the oil level it wa fine, but when i looked at the water bottle it had a layer of gunk a the bottom, i think it is oil. i do check it every week it has neve looked like this before. I have drained the cooling system and flushe it through with clean water and refilled it, but, it still wont start. Cant afford a garage. Please help guys i am a damsel in distrees. Wha has happened? CAN I BUMP START IT? Oh and yes their is half a tank o petrol. Thanks Guys Miss Fixit 4

-- miss fixit45

Reply to
miss fixit45

doesn't sound good. The oil in the water is a sign of (at best) a blown head gasket, or (at worst) a cracked engine block. Not sure why it won't start unless there is other damage - what condition are the spark plugs in?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

It's unlikely to be oil, because oil will float *on top* of the water, not sink.

If a car won't start, you need to check 3 things...

1) Does the engine turn 2) Is there a spark 3) Is there fuel.

If the engine turns over normally, that's a good start, because your cam belts etc are probably OK.

If it doesn't turn over at all, is your battery OK? Can you turn on the main beams, and do they work? If the answer's no, you could have a duff battery.

It could also be hyrdo-lock, where one of your cylinders has filled with water and is jamming the engine. To check for this, take all the plugs out and turn it over.

If it turns over way too quickly (with all the plugs in), you could have broken a cam belt (maybe).

Next is to check if there's fuel & spark. Turn it over for a bit. Take one of the plugs out and sniff it. Is it wet with fuel? If so, you've got fuel (maybe too much, but you've got *some*). Next, (you'll need help here!), hold (with some sort of insulated tool!) the removed plug, with its plug lead on the end, against the block/earthed metalwork.

You should see a big fat blue spark at the end of the plug.

So you should now know if it's a dead battery, no fuel or no spark.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll give you some more dubious, conflicting advice.

I don't know if this is an injection car, or a carb. I know nothing about Pug 205s.

It could be something as simple as a failed fuel pump.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

And it will make a lovely smashing and tinkling noise.

Reply to
gazzafield

not always apparently.

Sometimes you can have the cam *just* right, so that no interference happens, but because valves are open, it spins round really quickly.

Anyway, the OP has already tried to re-start it, so any damage would be done now.

Assuming the Pug 1.1 is an interference engine anyway!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith