Failed MOT

Hi

my car just failed the mot becvuase the battry tray area was corroded, i have looked into it and been quoted 150 for weld a new one in, could i just simply move the battry to the boot of the car and put it in for a retest would it pass or still fail.

many thanks

Reply to
*

You should take it back and ask them to show you in the MOT manual where exactly battery tray corrosion is a failure. What did the, I assume computerised by now, failure sheet actually say?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Consider what's involved with moving the battery. It'll be cheaper to get the tray fixed - although you may wish to shop around (150sq seems a bit excessive for a new tray - is it? doesn't need to be a pretty job).

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

From the computerized printout it says

Nearside front upper battery tray suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded

i asume that means a new battery tray

thanks

Reply to
*

Unless it's really full of holes it'd be cheaper still to wire brush the rust off and slap lots of hammerite, and maybe a bit of fibreglass or filler, over it until it looks ok again. The MOT monkey isn't allowed to prod at anything so as to damage paintwork and if the tray isn't in imminent danger of actually collapsing there's bugger all he had do about it.

Reply to
Dave Baker

thanks for that dave, a very good idea, and i think i will do that, where do you get fiberglass from and how much is it roughly

many thanks

Reply to
*

I bought a fibreglass "repair kit" from my local motor factors a couple of weeks ago, there should be plenty in there to fix a battery tray. £14 inclusive it was.

HTH

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

thanks to every one who has replied i will fiberglass the tray and see what happens, one other thing it failed on which i don't what it is or how much to fix it is

offside rear chassis suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded

any ideas on how much that would cost to get fixed

many thanks all

Reply to
*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's the "suspension component mounting" they're worried about.

Alistair J Murray

I remember years ago and my Marina Ital. The MOT bloke was in the pit and really rammin his screwdriver into the sills. Some places it went in, others it didn't. He was even rippin metal off, so much so that the car was a nervous wreck and never spoke to me again.

Reply to
The New Boy

This isn't my old Marina, is it?

Reply to
The New Boy

lol no mate it's a 95 escort

Reply to
*

i don't know, i just presumed it was the battery tray as i can see there is corrosion on it and can see into the passenger footwell from the battery tray

Reply to
*

This is not a question of a safe location for the battery. The failure is for excessive corrosion to a part of the structure within a stressed area that can affect suspension/steering/braking. (ultimately it could kill you or someone else)

A bodge up with fibreglass is not an acceptable repair for this condition, it 'might' be passed by a poor quality MoT tester, but it is not a safe repair.

Assuming it is something like an escort battery tray, then a properly done job could well be 150 pounds, but when done should be quite acceptable on both MoT and safety grounds.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

"Nearside front upper battery tray suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded"

That means it's within 30cm of a suspension mounting. A fibreglass repair will NOT pass the MOT; it _must_ be welded.

Likewise, this _must_ be welded.

Try around a few garages. Bear in mind there is welding and "welding"; the quality of such work can vary enormously.

My sister had her Ka welded by someone the garage recommended; it failed again. When I did the repair properly myself, I found they had failed to cut out the old rust (essential for a lasting job), welded poorly, covered it with underseal without painting first, and in addition had missed completely another 2" rust bubble (read flaky paint over hole) just a few inches away. Had that "welding" passed the MOT that time it would have rusted through before the next one!

There is more to a repair than a low price. This is definitely one type of repair where you get what you pay for!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

No. It should mean you've got corrosion in the structure or supporting paneling with 30cm of a suspension componet mounting. It's unlikely that the battery tray is supporting paneling, i.e. you could remove the battery tray and the suspension mounting would be as strong.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

the reason it failed is because there is corrosion within 30cm of a suspension mounting which is structural ( gives strength ), fibre glassing its the worse bit advise you can give & trust me the mot tester will know if that has been done ! & the vehicle presenter is going to look mighty stupid when this is pointed out to him.

Reply to
reg

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And - more to the point - it will not be safe.

Indeed. Properly. Not "MOT-standard"

Reply to
Adrian

well said that man .

Reply to
reg

Not trying to sound defeatist, but if the car is that badly riddled with rust, maybe it's time now to send her to the car showroom in the sky rather than be in this position at a later date when it rusts through elsewhere.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard