peugeot 306 'lectrics

ok so it failed the mot on

  1. missing headlight bulb ( where I replaced the headlight and forgot about the side light bulb doh!!)

  1. rear side light flashing with indicator, now aparently someone ( not me ) had put a stop and tail light in where a single element tail light ought to be.. it took the garage about an hour to discover this was the problem... now this side is brighter that the other, can you get different wattage tail bulbs I wander ? and how on earth could this cause such a problem?

Mr P

Reply to
mr p

Very difficult to do given stop tail bulbs have offset pins to prevent the different power filaments being reversed. Forcing it in is likely to break the holder. Nor would it cause the fault you mention - although using a single filament where it should be twin can cause funnies.

By far and away the most common reason for rear light 'funnies' is a poor or non existent earth. They're often just attached to a rear light fixing screw - and the lamp side of this screw is insulated from the body by the plastic light unit. Find the earth and clean it up. Better still, drill a hole through a nearby reinforcing panel and connect the earth wire(s) to that with a nut and bolt to provide a long lasting solution.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not uncommon though, seen that on the last two cars I've bought privately.

Muppets. How difficult is it to work out that the socket offers up one contact but the bulb has two?

True. I wish I was sober/bothered enough to pay proper attention to this thread and be definitive about it.

Reply to
Nick Dobb