Peugeot 306 wouldn't start

This morning our Peugeot 306 wouldn't start. It's a 1998, 1.4 petrol,

110k miles.

Turned the key and engine turned over fine, started very briefly before stopping. Tried again, kept turning over etc, but no sign of any ignition.

Battery was replaced on Thursday lunchtime and car has been driven a number of times since then. Last time being around 2pm yesterday afternoon (all of 5m up the driveway to make space).

Tried a 2nd key (in case of imobiliser fob issue) - same problem so went back to original key.

I've had this once or twice before in the 5 years we've had it, and always thought to be imobiliser. Removed key from ignition and then re-insert and try again has always fixed it.

After a few more goes, I wondered if I'd entered the radio code (okay - stupid idea!) - it asked for code - entered it. Tried to start again and this time, after a bit it did start, slowly and picking up a bit at a time. After a couple of seconds car was running as normal and drove us to where we were doing.

A couple of hours later, it started perfectly fine again.

Any suggestions what might have been the issue? Previously, when the imobiliser may have not disengaged, it would always start fine the next time - didn't work this time, and also, it seemed strange how it picked up once it had started.

This car always starts first time, never a problem until dead battery on

2 cold mornings this week - started fine after being charged for 15 minutes, and also later in the day. Oh, and 2-3 times I've had to re-insert the key to start it (in 5 years, that's not too bad I think!)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Many ECU controlled cars take exception to being run for such a short time. Particularly affected are certain Fords, and Nissan Micras. The ECU senses a flooded engine condition and prevents starting.

Ford have software inbuilt to deal with this. Hold the throttle open and crank for 30 seconds, then release the pedal and try again. This sometimes work for Micras, if not it needs cranking for a while with the fuel pump fuse removed to overcome the flooding.

If you need to move the car a short distance in future, let it run for at least a minute or so. If it won't start under those same conditions again, try cranking it with the pedal on the floor (don't waggle it :-)), then try again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It was Flooded.

Always ensure you run the engine for at least part of the warm up cycle before switching off.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..